one

I walked into my roommates bedroom to dig through her closet, trying to find something to wear for this god awful party that we were going to. The last thing that was on my mind was downing tequila shots and dodging creepy frat boys. The only thing I wanted to do was crawl into my bed and watch Gossip Girl until I pass out.

"You should wear the red one. Red's your color." Kelsey said as she basically inhaled a vodka cranberry.

I pulled the dress off of the hanger and sighed. "Is Sam going to be there?" I asked her as I took off my t-shirt and sweats to replace them with the dress.

"Well I mean, it's his best friends party so I assume so." She said, getting up and walking into her bathroom.

I followed behind her and lifted myself up onto her bathroom counter. "You promise not to leave me tonight? I don't want to be anywhere near him." I said, watching her apply her false lashes.

"Yeah, of course. You know I always got your back." She reassured me. I gave her a fake smile and then looked down at the floor. I already knew that I was going to regret going.

Once Kelsey and I arrived at the party, I saw that there were more people than I thought there would be. This gave me hope that I wouldn't have to come in contact with Sam or even see him. I followed close behind her until we got into the kitchen. Kelsey walked up to a tall, brunette haired guy and gave him a hug. I had never seen this guy before and I was confused since Kelsey and I had always stayed within our friend group. Kelsey pulled away from him and turned around, pulling my arm over to them.

"Jack, this is my friend Elise. Elise, this is Jack." Kelsey said and I gave a small smile and waved.

"It's nice to meet you Elise. Grab a drink and make yourself at home." Jack said, smiling and taking a sip of his beer.

"Yes! Drinks! C'mon!" Kelsey grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the counter, pouring us both vodka cranberries.

Before I knew it, Kelsey was nowhere to be found and I was sat on a couch, alone. I already knew this was going to happen, it usually does. She usually finds some cute boy that she likes, runs off with him, and then I don't see her until the next morning.

I sat on my phone and played Tetris, trying to keep myself sane with all of the drunk people yelling around me. I eventually had enough and decided that I wanted to go home.

I got up and went out to the backyard, attempting to find Kelsey. A few seconds after I walked out, I heard someone call my name. I turned around and saw the one person I was trying to avoid tonight.

Sam stumbled over to me with a smile on his face and I started to walk away. I felt him grab my arm and turn me around.

"Don't walk away from me Elise." He said and I tore my arm out of his grip.

"Don't touch me." I said and he walked closer to me.

"We need to talk." He said and I backed away.

"We don't need to talk about anything. I broke up with you for a reason, so please leave me alone." I said and he threw his drink on the ground.

"You're a fucking whore, you know that? I don't want to talk to you anyway. Fuck you Elise." He said, raising his voice a little.

I laughed, "Real classy Sammy." I then felt his hand make contact with my face as he yelled,

"Don't fucking laugh at me you stupid bitch!" I placed my hand on my cheek and heard a guy come up, yelling at Sam. I looked to see Jack pushing him and yelling in his face.

"Oh, so you're who she's been fucking huh? My own best friend, fucking with my ex. How sweet." Sam said as he pushed Jack back.

"Sammy, you're fucking drunk. Get the fuck out of my house." Jack said, pointing towards the front yard.