ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ ᵗʷᵉⁿᵗʸ ᵗʰʳᵉᵉ

''JASON!''

Once his lance had broke, Noelani knew they were in trouble. Rolling backwards, he avoided an attack as Noelani took his place to block it for him. ''Thanks!'' Jason yelled.

''Don't mention it,'' Noelani responded, her words under her breath and Jason barely registered them. The battle started well enough, Noelani's knowledge from previous battles aiding her and Jason's instincts had kicked in as though he had fought opponents this big before. Size and strength equaled slowness, so they just had to be quicker - pace themselves, wear out their opponent, and avoid getting smashed or cooked.

Jason moved towards the giant's first spear, barely dodging it, and jabbed Enceladus in the ankle. Jason's javelin managed to pierce the thick dragon hide, and golden ichor - the blood of immortals - and trickled down the giants clawed foot.

It went on like that for seconds, minutes - it was hard to tell. Noelani could faintly hear construction equipment grinding, fire roaring, monsters shouting, and rocks smashing into metal. She heard Leo and Piper shouting defiantly, which was good. It meant they were still alive.

Enceladus's spear missed her by a millimeter. Noelani kept dodging, but the ground was sticking to her feet. Gaea was getting stronger, and the giant was getting faster. Enceladus might be slow, but he wasn't dumb. He began anticipating their moves, which flew Noelani off. Her opponent had never done that before, she had always been told she had a unique fighting style until Jason came along and practically mimicked her moves, and now this?

''I'm not some minor monster,'' Enceladus bellowed. ''I am a giant, born to destroy gods! Your little gold toothpick can't kill me boy.''

Feeling neglected, Noelani dove forwards, landing in between his feet and slashed both inner ankles before continuing to run between his feet and attack from behind.

Jason didn't wast his energy replying, he was already tired. The ground clung to his feet, making him feel like he weighed an extra hundred pounds. The air was full of smoke that burned his lungs. Fires roared around him, stoked by the winds, and the temperature was approaching the heat of an oven.

Noelani raised her sword to block the next strike - a mistake. Jason dove for her, tackling her to the ground, 'don't fight force with force', a voice chided him and he almost repeated it back to the Hawaiian, but she was glaring up at him. Smiling sheepishly, he was quickly thrown off and Noelani got to her feet, not having the patience to waste time.

She winced, massaging her shoulder when there was a pause in the action. When she had been tackled, whilst it allowed her to deflect the spear, it had grazed across her shoulder, and her arm was numb. She backed up, almost tripping over a burning log.

She had to delay - to keep the giants attention fixed on him while her friends dealt with the Earthborn and Piper's dad. She couldn't fail.

Locking eyes with Jason, the two shared a nod. They retreated, trying to lure the giant to the edge of the clearing. Enceladus could sense her weariness. The giant smiled, barring his fangs.

''The mighty Noelani Koi, and Jason Grace,'' he taunted. ''Yes, we know about you, son of Jupiter, daughter of Apollo. The one who led the assault on Mount Othrys, the one who single-handedly slew the Titan Krios and toppled the black throne. And the one who got lost, turned up at the wrong place at the wrong time, and yet still succeeded in many areas. Specifically battles, don't think I've forgotten your story Koi.''

Noelani blinked. What was this guy raving on about?

''What are you talking about?'' Jason asked. He realized his mistake when Enceladus breathed fire.