Health Code

June 18th, 2021

11:19am

Location: Ashbury, NC

**********

I swung the metal baseball bat and the sickening sound of bones breaking filled my ears.

"I told you," the young woman pleaded, "I don't know where the money is! Please, please don't hurt him."

Lowering the blood-soaked bat, I turned to face her. Her tear-filled green eyes were bloodshot and blood was dripping down her temple. Her caramel skin was glistening from the tears streaming down her face.

If only I cared.

"Oh, sweetie," I drawled. The metal bat scraped against the cement floor as I made my way over to her. Sobs wracked her body and she flinched when I reached a manicured hand up to cup her cheek. She calmed a bit and looked into my icy gray eyes with fear. I pulled back my hand and raised the bat over my head. "That's not what I asked."

"That's exactly what you asked."

The response stopped me from bringing the bat down full force on this lady's leg. I turned to my best friend and gave her a 'What the heck' look. She stepped out of the shadows and tossed her shoulder length black hair out of her face.

"Excuse me," I asked. She made her way towards me and crossed her arms.

"Before you swung at his head, you asked for the location of the money, Lily," Ivy stated. She gave out a hollow chuckle as I wracked my brain for the memory of two seconds ago.

"I don't remember that," I responded.

"Well, you certainly didn't ask for the date of Macy's next shoe sale."

"They haven't had one of those in a hot minute."

"I know, right?! When we leave here, remind me to drop by a Macy's for some new boots. I'm getting tired of scraping the blood off of mine every night."

"Dude, same."

"Back to the topic at hand," Genevieve said, taking the bat from me. I stepped back into the shadows and watched her take over the interrogation. "I'll give you one last chance, Lucinda. Either you tell us the location of the money or," she turned away from Lucinda and walked the five feet towards Lucinda's husband, "he's going to need a closed casket funeral."

"I told you," Lucinda screamed. "Please, I told you! I don't know where it is."

"Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Who knew you valued profit over the love of your life," I stated.

Genevieve swung at the husband's chest, meshing the sound of the wife's screams with bone breaking. Before Gigi could deliver the final blow, Lucinda finally screamed "IT'S IN THE FREEZER!"

Ivy lowered the bat and turned to Lucinda. "What freezer?"

"In the restaurant," she gasped out in between sobs, "behind the steaks, there's a cutout in the wall. Barely visible. You need to use a knife to take out the piece of the wall. It's all in there. The whole hundred grand."

Genevieve turned to look at me. We had a silent conversation and I turned to leave. Genevieve turned back to Lucinda and brushed the black hair out of the woman's face. "If you're lying, you're next."

"I'm not," Lucinda sobbed. "It's all in there."

"It better be."

**********

12:01pm

We walked into the hole in the wall diner, our black outfits drenched in the smell of saltwater, and made our way to the cash register. The diner was closed, but picking a lock is easy when it was ingrained into your mind at the ripe age of 14.