Chapter 1

PROLOGUE

Marina sits in front of me, a fair distance away. Her cameramen set up behind her, and the lights they turn on are blinding. She has a pretty face – she's a journalist after all. I haven't seen someone look so clean in a long time. I haven't seen Marina for even longer.

"Jade, I've been anticipating this interview for so long. I'm so glad you accepted our invitation." She gives me a small smile before continuing, "As you know, we're making a Netflix documentary about the events that transpired. We're hoping that you will be willing to share with us your side of the story."

I know what she wants to hear. I've read the letters she sent, and about two hundred similar ones. Netflix, Foxtel, Facebook... even Disney wanted to listen. Which was surprising because I didn't think Disney produced graphic content. I didn't accept a single one of them. I was waiting for the perfect opportunity.

And when Marina's name appeared on one of the many letters addressed to me, I accepted it instantly.

She looks at me expectantly, a discerning mixture of curiosity and fear. But if I'm going to tell her what happened, I'm going to tell her my way. I'm going to tell her everything. From the start.

"It was the day before I started senior year..."

CHAPTER 1

On the last day of summer break, October Academy holds the most infamous ice-hockey game of the season. There are four senior ice-hockey teams at the academy this year, and the two better teams will battle each other in a deadly match to determine which team will be A's and B's when we verse the other academies. Personally, I don't see the point of it – other than a toxic display of testosterone, aggression and arrogance.

So why I am I here? Good question. Honestly, if I had a choice, I would never attend this stupid match. But, fortunately for me (sigh), I work at the ice rink. Right now, I'm in the ticketing booth, handing out tickets to idiots with nothing better to do than watch this superficial game. We already know who is going to win anyways.

I see my best friend (and simultaneously only friend), Perry, walking up to the ticketing booth.

"Why, Periwinkle, what brings you here on this horrendous night?" I say to her, rolling my eyes at the crowds gathering.

"Don't be such a pessimist. It'll be fun!" she giggles, ever-present smile resting below her rosy cheeks. She tries to pass me ten dollars, but I shove it back at her and hand her a ticket.

"I don't want you to get in trouble," she says.

"I practically own this place, just go inside before I change my mind," I tease, quickly looking back to check my boss didn't see me give her a free ticket.

"Will you meet me inside when you're done working?" she asks sweetly.

"I can't make any promises."

"Pleeeeeeease!" she begs, somehow making her bright blue eyes sparkle like a Disney princess.

"How can I say no to that face?" I laugh and wave goodbye as she walks past me into the rink.

My next customer, on the other hand, is not so sweet.

"Hi Alyssa, what can I do for you?" I ask her as she struts towards the booth.

"Three tickets," she says, mannerless. Her long, dark brown hair sits in a high ponytail that would make Ariana Grande jealous. Hell it makes me jealous. She's beautiful. She passes me a fifty dollar note before condescendingly adding, "Keep the change, we know you need it."