CHAPTER 28

DAMIEN POV:

My head was spinning as I walked towards the door. The night was so hectic and dangerous along with the piece of information I got. I ordered my men to return to the mansion while my right hand followed me.

"Boss, it's better if I...", I slapped him making him stumble back.

"I said LEAVE!!", I yelled turning around and slamming the front door on his face.
I knew I was harsh but only that will work in my world. He was the most trusted man ever and I trust him with my life. I sighed taking a look at the clock, it was nearly two in the night. 

I discarded my bloodied shirt and plopped down onto the couch, staring at the brown file in my hand. It irked me to even open it and read further but I was forced to. Nothing in my life went great. Yes, of course I had lovely parents to support and my brother, Eric but I couldn't risk their lives. I knew harm would come to them if they stay connected to me.

Hence, we never revealed to the world that I was their son. But now, everything could go wrong and moreover, we had Lily in our family. I gritted my teeth at the thought.

LILY!
What would happen to her? 

She doesn't deserve this one bit. It was utterly cruel and selfish. She was a ray of light in Eric's life and even though he never said it, we could see it in his eyes. Hell, she even had the whole family wrapped around her finger. Frustrated, I threw the file onto the coffee table, while accidently knocking over a glass vase.

"Damien?!"

Shit!

I looked up to see Eric standing on top of the stairs. I quickly took the file in my hands, staring at him. He descended down the stairs sighing.

"I'm glad you're okay and....", his eyes moved to the floor, where my shirt lay. 
"What happened?!"

"Nothing. Just the usual", I replied emotionless. I knew he had the power to make me spill the truth but I wasn't going to submit to him tonight. At least not on this!
He stared at me and it was hard to keep up with his stare. Always had been. It was like he was looking into your soul and daring to lie to him.
Nevertheless, I stared back refusing to look away because if I did, he would know. He frowned releasing me as I let out a silent sigh.

"Damien. Please, I know you. Tell me the truth...", he spoke making me look away.
"I said it was the usual. Things got dirty and we had to get down. Although luck was on our side, we too lost our good men", I half-lied.
"Fine, so anything about the ri..."
"Eric, this is my battle. You are in no way involved in this....", he cut me off.
"I am in every way involved. I'm your brother, Damien and do not forget that it was me for five years"

I could see the old him resurfacing and any grown man would shit himself on seeing Eric's old self. I shook my head, assuring him and he seemed to relax. He took a look at the file in my hand and raised his eyebrows.

"I'm tired, Eric. So I'm retiring for the night", I said walking off to my room. Now, I regretted not going to my mansion and instead come here. When I took a last look at him, he smirked and something in his eyes told me he exactly knew that I did not speak whole truth.

I sighed and sat on my desk, opening the file.
Time to sort out things!!

************************************************

LILY POV:

The past three days after the gala was hell for me!
I was not able to move freely without cramps appearing at my sides. Eric had work to attend and I somehow convinced him to go. Damien seemed quite busy too so I was all alone in the house.