Chapter 4: The Last of a Lady's Luck

"Mama, have you had the opportunity to meet Aunt Honoria yet?" Esther demanded of her mother as soon as she reached her, after swimming across a sea of masked men and women, all looking almost similar, the bright and colourful masks only forming a source of ambiguity and distraction. Although, the perfect bright red pile of hair helped her to cut her hunt short.

"What are you saying dearest," Lady Sherborne smiled with a frowned forehead, "she's not-"

"She is!" Esther cut her off strongly. "Apparently, the Framptons reached London this evening, I just had an audience with Juliette mere minutes ago."

Her mother, still in disbelief, roved her eyes about the room hoping to find her elder sister in the crowd that had now multiplied considerably. "That's great news, Esther. However, they should've written to us for the very least."

"That's what I told her!"

Lady Sherborne's eyes stared into the distance for a while half lost in thoughts, half still searching for a certain bunch of golden heads until they stopped on someone more worthy of the attention.

"Anyways," she stated clutching Esther's arm near the elbow and stationing her next to herself, anticipation shaking in her words as she gave her skirt a light wave. "now that you're here, Lord Richcomb and his wife are coming this way with the Duke. I must-"

Esther's eyes went wide as they confirmed the party that was indeed advancing her way. It was a mess. One she must escape. Clearing her throat loudly, she spoke, sounding as decent as she could manage, "Mother, if you can please excuse me, I should grab a glass of-"

"NO!" Lady Sherborne cut her off, already prepared for her daughter's petty tricks, her tone clearly declaring she wasn't planning to waiver. Esther's forehead began to perspire as panic rose in her. She turned to her mother who only froze her grasp harder on her elbow as the party moved closer. "I will not! The Duke is coming this way and you must-"

"Mama, I'm parched!" Esther pulled her arm out of her grasp with a yank making Lady Sherborne's face lose colour several shades, she noticed and with a breath as calm as she could manage, she added, "I need a sip of-"

"You can have it later." The mother declared with a smile plastered on her face now as the party had almost reached.

As she looked up at the Duke, who, fortunately, seemed distracted by Lord Richcomb's chatter, she could vividly picture herself getting forced onto an altar with this man she didn't even know and at that moment she realised that the picture of her being pushed off a cliff still seemed more pleasant than the former. She had to make haste.

"No, no mother, I- I really can't even talk-" two frantic coughs forced their way out of her chest. "I am c- completely-" two more coughs.

Considering how seriously dry her throat was, allowing not a word out without heavy convulsions, she flew away to the farthest available glass of champagne in the room, despite of her mother. Leaving the Duke and his party to Lady Sherborne, who now possessed a red face and no suitable excuse to explain just why her daughter had to chase the air out of the room mere seconds ago.

Esther only wished she could think of a way to make it up to her mother later but as of the present, she couldn't think of anything but avoiding the Duke at all cost.

Briefly, she turned her head around to check on her mother when she had walked several good meters only to smack into someone's back.

"Wherever are you fleeing off to?" Esther heard Florence's voice before she had entirely gathered herself from the sudden shake and a wave of relief took over her.

"Thank Lord I found you!" Esther exhaled, pulling her friend into an unoccasional hug.

Confused by the sudden act of uncommon appreciation, Florence chortled, "Why? Heavens, Did you happen to walk into Lord Gardiner?"