The one with the angry woman (Chapter 18)

I storm through the foyer of the Goldkellerei, flying past the hostess.

"Bastard" I spit under my breath, barely containing my anger as I stomp my way to the back of the restaurant. That's where I assume he is, the one man who has sought to make my life difficult for no reason but his own deluded sense of responsibility.

I hear the clicking of heels as the hostess follows me, but even though I have no doubt her vampire abilities would let her, she doesn't try to overtake me. Maybe life as a hostess is a little boring and she is in need of some drama?

Well, I'd be happy to provide it for her.

Only a few people are in the restaurant, they look like the type that has too much time on their hands. Women in sleek dresses and heels, holding babies that belong in commercials, and older men with fashionably groomed beards and tweed jackets. Most are enjoying their afternoon coffee and cake that seems to be a popular afternoon ritual in Frankfurt. Of course, in this type of establishment, coffee and cake comes with wine and dainty-looking pastries.

If I ever have a baby I won't wear heels for at least a year. Heck, if it wasn't for my interviews with members of the covens I wouldn't wear heels now.

I walk past them. I have no idea where von Graf's office is- or if he's even in there. My guess is near the back of the building, aren't offices always in the back?

It doesn't matter. Even if it's somewhere else I will hunt him down.

I squeeze my hands into fists until I can feel my nails digging into my hands and I stomp through the rest of the restaurant and through a door to the back.

In a long bright hallway with beige tiled floors, a startled waiter wearing a black uniform and holding dirty plates looks shocked when he sees me. I'm too angry to waste my time explaining to him the misdeeds of his boss, but he is standing in my way.

Seething, I try to come up with something to say that will convince him to allow me to pass, but my mind is blinded by rage and comes up blank. Shit, what's the point in being smart if I can't use it?

The waiter's blue eyes slide behind me and an expression passes over his face before he steps quickly to the side.

I guess the hostess is cool with me confronting her boss. I like her more now.

Stepping past the waiter, I continue down the hallway, passing an open door to the kitchen before reaching a set of stairs going down to a basement. Of course, the vampire's office is in the basement...

I march down into semi-darkness, trusting my anger to carry me through the creepiness of entering a dark space with predators who would like a taste of my blood. Anger makes you do crazy things.

The basement is, unsurprisingly, dark. It's a small rectangular room with two connected hallways, navy walls, and dark wood flooring. A few cleaning supplies lean against the far wall. I pick the nearest hallway and start down it.

The hallway is lined with navy blue doors that almost blend into the navy walls. Pale light illuminates the space from dim skylights. It's unusually warm for a basement- cozy really. I bet this is where the idiot spends his days.

I look at the long line of doors- nothing feels right. I assume the man who created the elegant gold-encrusted abomination upstairs would have something showy on the door to his office. So I spin and walk to the next hallway.

And there it is. Simpler perhaps than I imagined, but still shiny enough to rub his ego in all the right places. His office door has a large golden plaque with his name inscribed in cursive like it's a wedding invitation.

I roll my eyes as I grab the door handle and push.

Inside is a comfortable space. Plush carpets, a thick wood desk, an armchair in the corner that should be in a pottery barn catalog, all lit by a classic black table lamp on the corner of the desk. Its luxury, but simple, with a touch of masculine energy.

Behind the desk in my new archnemesis- the man who is ruining my life one thing at a time. He looks unexpectedly handsome in the low lighting and it makes me pause for a moment.

"Miss Hemstock?" His deep voice reaches me as he looks away from his computer, directly at me. His golden eyes twinkling in the light.

His voice shocks me out of my stupider and I take a deep breath before I march forward to stand in front of the desk and demand, "Who the hell do you think you are?"

"I am the man who wants you to live a long happy life. Now get out"

I feel my ears turn hot as rage washes over me, "You have no business calling my supervisor!" Yes, that is right. This pig-headed vampire called my supervisor and offered him funding if he moved me to a different project- making me lose nearly a year of work and energy all because he is a paternalist asshole.

He slowly unfurls himself from his chair and stands up- he is even taller than I remember- so he is leaning over the desk menacingly, "I did what needed to be done"

*****

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for reading my story! If you want to read ahead or support me, please check out my Patreon page where you can read ahead on all my ongoing books, get news, and participate in polls starting at 3 Euros a month (+VAT, various currencies available). Check it out at https://www.patreon.com/heatherjacobs

Happy reading!

Heather