The one where she wears his clothes (Chapter 14)

My dress sticks to my body, my bra is damp, and all I can smell is the deep rich scent of wine mixing with the cheap air freshener sitting next to the sink.

I'm alone in a gilded bathroom with the lights of a large mirror almost blinding me in their intensity. The rest of the bathroom is also a gaudy gold and white and I find it all a little too much. But I've already checked my damage in the mirror and I'd rather look at the gold-rimmed bathtubs than see my drowned face.

I hear knocking on the door and I spin and open it. Weiß stands there, eyes closed, holding out some clothes and a plastic bag in his hands.

"Thank you," I quickly grab the clothes from him "Um, I'm not naked"

He opens his odd wine-colored eyes and looks at me, "hopefully these will work for now"

"I'm sure they'll be fine, but I'm worried I'm dripping on your floor" I look down to emphasize the small droplets following me.

He smiles, "we have a cleaner who comes in tomorrow, don't worry about it"

"Oh okay," I back away from the door and shut it with my shoulder. I set the clothes on the counter next to the sink and begin to strip off my soggy clothes.

Now there comes a time in every girl's life when she has to decide whether to wear a bra or go without. For me, this is that moment. Stripped down to my panties and bra I look at the shirt Weiß provided. It looks to be a man's white undershirt and although it will be large on me, it's a stretchy material that will no doubt show my nipples should I go without my bra. I reach up and grab my plain black bra; it's a bit damp but not soaking. Will the wine soak into the undershirt? Probably, but I'm choosing that over showing off my nipples.

Ugh, I just need to get it over with. I throw the shirt over my head and pull up what appears to be men's exercise shorts. It will be chilly walking home in the early October evening, but I don't see many options available.

I throw my soiled dress and tights into the bag and quickly exit the bathroom into the large entrance hall of the house. I'm ready to head home and well, shower, and then put this evening behind me. I'm even looking forward to Albert laughing when I retell the story.

I glance around, but nobody is in the hallway. I briefly wonder if I should just sneak out without saying goodbye.

I start to head towards the sitting room to say goodbye, but then I rethink it. I would be okay with never seeing any of those people again. Except I have to interview them for my Ph.D. Ugh, I'm going to have to hear about this over and over again....

But that is some other day. I step towards the front door again. I see my coat handing on a coat hanger in the corner and I grab it.

"Are you heading out?"

I spin to see Weiß exit another door. He looks me up and down and I have to look ridiculous in my oversized men's exercise shorts, large white undershirt that I am praying isn't getting damp from my bra, and, of course, black heels.

"Yeah, I think it's time for me to head home" I try to contort my face to look sad that I'm leaving, I hope it's believable "but thank you very much for the invite. I'll return the clothes when I come to do the interviews if that's okay?"

He shuts the door behind him and walks closer, "Of course, Miss. Hemstock. I would also be happy to pay for your dress to be dry cleaned"

I look down at the plastic grocery bag in my hand holding my black dress. Thankfully I had decided that the 'attending a funeral' look was appropriate for this evening as well. The dress was made from simple cotton and I would be throwing it in the washing machine when I got home.

"Don't worry about it" I reply and smile. I set the bag on the ground and unfold my coat to sling it around my shoulders when Weiß grabs it from me.

"Allow me" he opens the coat up and I try to hold back a blush as I put my arms through the sleeves and shrug on the coat. I feel him take a small step back, "you know, I'm sad we didn't have more time to chat"

I spin to look at him and say cheekily "you could always volunteer to be interviewed"

With that he laughs, his red-brown eyes lighting up and small crinkles of mirth circling them. I smile a big smile back. Then he grows serious, stepping towards me again. He raises his arm as if to touch me and then pauses before lowering it again.

He shakes his head, "there is something about you, I almost think...." His eyes search my face seeking something.

I watch and wait, unsure of what is happening.

He takes a step back and runs his hand through his thick auburn hair.

"Is everything okay, Mr. Weiß?"

He smiles a huge smile letting his fangs pop over his pink lips. "Yes," he laughs nervously, "it's going to sound crazy but I think... well I think you might be my beloved" He looks shyly away from me when he says the last sentence before seeking out my face again.

I'm stunned. Absolutely positively couldn't possibly be more stunned.

"Oh" I force out, "well that is something"

"Yeah" he laughs anxiously, "so I was wondering if we could, uh, grab a coffee sometime?"

I look into his deep expressive eyes. He's a handsome man, beautiful even, and he seems kind. I'm not sure of the ethics of dating someone while I am studying their coven, but then again if I'm his beloved that means... well it means that he might be my chance at true love.

"Sure, coffee sounds good." I answer and his face lights up "uh, you have my number?"

He nods.

It takes a few more minutes before I leave the coven. The cold air caressing my bare legs. I am sending a quick text to Tobias asking for a meeting on Monday or Tuesday when Albert walks up to me.

He looks down at the shorts peeking out from below my fall coat and growls lowly as we head home.

*****

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for reading my story! If you want to read ahead or support me, please check out my Patreon page where you can read ahead on all my ongoing books, get news, and participate in polls starting at 3 Euros a month (+VAT, various currencies available). Check it out at https://www.patreon.com/heatherjacobs

Happy reading!

Heather