8. A Breakup

I look up at him.

Y: 'Its not like your struggling,'

Josh goes back to his room and comes back with a report card. On 4 subjects, he failed. I look up at him.

J: 'You dont have too, but you can see I'm struggling in those areas where I've failed.'

Y: 'No shit'

Josh smiles.

J: 'Look, I'll even pay you to tutor me, your hella smart at this stuff, it's either you tutor me or I waste my money on getting a proper tutor in'

I turn to him and sigh.

Y: 'Alright fine. But you have to actually be willing to learn and actually do as I say,'

J: 'I promise, and thank you!'

I smile.

J: 'Ooooo carrot sticks!'

He takes 1 and dips it in the salad cream and eats it. I laugh and shake your head.

Y: 'If your hungry, go get some food! This is mine!'

He laughs and rolls his eyes.

J: 'Alright fineeee'

He gets up and goes to the kitchen. He comes back with a bag of crisps and is about to open them.

Y: 'Alright fine, you can have some, I am not having you eat crisps for dinner'

Josh laughs and puts the crisps down.

J: 'Alright what area do we do first?'

Y: 'Well let's do this Spanish sheet first, whens it due'

J: '2 days time'

My jaw drops.

Y: 'You left it that late?! Alright let's make a deal: whenever you get homework, we prioritise it by due date and quantity ok?'

Josh laughs and nods.

J: 'Alright fine,'

Y: 'What other homework do you have?'

J: 'An online science quiz that has revision first and the Spanish sheet'

Y: 'JOSH THAT REVISON AND QUIZ IS DUE AT MIDNIGHT TONIGHT! WHY HAVE YOU LEFT IT SO LATE'

J: 'Sorry, I was gonna do it tonight!'

Y: 'That is not the point! We will do the revision and quiz first so you dont hand it in late and then we can do the Spanish'

Josh nods and I spend the next hour helping him complete the revison sheet. I leave him to take the quiz alone so I dont end up giving him the answers. Josh comes downstairs smiling as I finish loading the dishwasher.

Y: 'Finished?'

Josh smiles and nods.

Y: 'It gives you the results as soon as your done, so what did you get'

J: 'Out of the 20 question quiz, you  can guess first'

Y: 'Um I'm gonna say 13, hopefully'

J: '17!!!!'

My jaw drops and I smile.

Y: 'Well done!!!'

J: 'Proves how low expectations you have for me'

I laugh.

Y: 'Trust me, you got a D on that end of term quiz'

J: 'What would you say that result is as a grade?'