Paint It Black

1 out of 2 :)

My darlings, for now we're having a small interlude, for the next couple of chapters, while I'm collecting your votes, but at the moment it seems that most of you would like to have a ka-boom (and be done with the scary angsty part, I suspect) and then watch these two poppets build a life together. So, enjoy this next part having to do with a certain event... and then brace yourselves for the ka-boom.

Love,

K. xx

***

Five days later...

"Ulla," his soft voice woke her up, and she stirred and nuzzled the pillow. "Darling, we should start getting ready."

"For what?" Ulla asked grumpily. "It's not morning yet."

"It's not night either," he answered with a chuckle and kissed her naked shoulder. "We have the book reading to attend, love."

Ulla's eyes flew open.

"John Barnett's reading!" she gasped, floundered, and sat up.

He winced away from her flailing limbs.

"Oh," she said and gawked at him. "Nevermind. But seriously, why is this still affecting me?" she grumbled and gestured around his bare chest.

He smirked lopsidedly.

"Being in danger of repeating myself, darling, I'm half-naked because I can't put on my shirt on my own," he said with a chuckle. "Would you help me, please?"

"Yeah, sure. But first I need a shower," she said climbing off the bed. She checked her watch, and exhaled in relief. They still had two hours before they needed to leave. She minced to the door, and then looked at him over her shoulder. "How are you even real?"

He grinned, she shook her head and bolted to the bathroom.

She'd dried and straightened her hair, when he knocked at the door.

"May I?" he asked and stuck his head in.

Ulla looked at his reflection in the mirror.

"Oh. Is that what you're wearing?" she asked, and he lifted the hanger with his black shirt higher.

"This old thing?" he asked and batted his lashes.

Ulla snorted.

"Well," she drew out, "at least our colour schemes won't clash. Come in," she said. "I'm almost done."

"If I were a jealous man," Oliver said slowly, "which I am not, I would say you aren't going out dressed like that. You are - if such a thing exists - too hot."

Ulla shot him a sarcastic side glance and turned her attention back to her reflection. She needed to make sure that her eyeliner was perfect - just as her mascara and her bright red lipstick.

"And if I were your husband," he added nonchalantly, "I'd be honoured to be the plus one of a woman like you."

"You don't have to be my– husband to be my plus one," Ulla pointed out and turned to him. "And to feel honoured."

He watched her for a few seconds, and then sighed.

"Ulla, I'm... concerned that you might have forgotten what it was like the last time we went out together," he said quietly. "The book reading party is in the vicarage, with everyone who's anyone in Fleckney Woulds in attendance. Including the Mayor, his partner Imogen Fox, Father Peters of the All Saints Church, Dr. Petra Nenadovich, the current mistress of Mr. Oakby Snr Esquire, who owes most of the property in the town, the Fitzroys who are the second richest family in the county, as well as most of business owners in the town and every old darling from the WI. And you're coming to the party with me as your plus one."