48 | erlebnisse

erlebnisse (n.)

the experiences, positive or negative, that we feel most deeply, and through which we truly live; not mere experiences, but Experiences

* * *

GRADUATION came in the blink of an eye, and I didn't like it one bit. I hated endings almost as much as I loathed surprises. And there was just cause to—my time at Haven Beach High was almost over.

Yeah, I had senioritis and wanted high school to be over, but I wasn't ready for the bittersweet ending of my era at Haven Beach High. The school year had been perfect, and I just started to enjoy going. All I wanted were a few more days to soak it all up before it disappeared forever.

I wasn't granted my wish—if anything, our last week of high school flew by even faster.

"Seniors, line up in alphabetical order!" Vice Principal Gomez shouted on the morning of graduation. "You are taking your seats in five minutes."

"Well, I guess this is it," I said, rapidly fanning my face to dry the tears before they ruined my makeup. "We're graduating."

"Don't cry," Eli whispered, giving me a side hug. "This changes nothing. I pinky promise."

"No, it'll change everything," I sniffed.

After graduation, our friend group would be splitting up. Aubrey and I would be off at Copley; Ben, Eli, and Ethan would be off at Revere. The five of us would at least be in the same city. Opposite ends of the city, but the same city nonetheless. That didn't subdue the hurt of losing Delaney and Lorelei to New Hampshire, and Aliyah to North Carolina.

So, yeah, this changed everything.

"How? I'll still love you. We have the whole summer and our whole lives ahead of us."

I delicately wiped the corner of my eye and said, "It won't be the same. We're all going to separate schools. I'll miss everyone, you especially."

"We're separating for a brief amount of time. I'll still be there to be a pain in your ass. I'll find new ways to annoy you from a few miles away."

"You okay, Char?" Aubrey asked.

I nodded wordlessly, knowing that if I spoke again, the tears would come gushing out.

"She's just a little nervous," Eli explained to everyone while rubbing the small of my back.

"Scared they won't give you a diploma?" Ben taunted.

Delaney snorted, "If anyone should be scared, it's you."

"Yeah," Eli said, turning to look Ben in the eyes, "Ben, when they hand you the diploma, whatever you do, don't stop walking across that stage. They'll probably change their minds if you don't get out of there quick enough."

"Dude, he's too stupid to understand," Ethan snickered, "Just remember 'diploma and dip.'"

"You guys are so mean," Aubrey groaned. "Give poor Ben a break."

"Thank you, Aubrey," Ben exclaimed. "And for everyone's information, I didn't fail astronomy. I ended with a fifty-two percent. There's no need for them to take the diploma back."