023| Tension amidst what the truth could be

🌻🌼

Her heart sank and sleep was fast to elude her eyes, as she stared wide-eyed at the unexpected guests. They stared back at her in surprise.

"I thought you wouldn't make it," Victor commented, breaking the awkward silence and also quite puzzled about his sister's presence. Gene couldn't utter a word. Somehow, her words hung in her throat as she maintained a frozen state. What can she say? What was she to say and what words to use that wouldn't give off the wrong information, even though it is the truth? Gene wasn't ready to proclaim the truth. She didn't feel the need to do so.

Queen, her brother's wife, stared beyond her. "Elliot."

Elliot? Quickly, Gene looked beyond her shoulder and there he stood, a few steps away from them, hands tucked away into the pockets of his hoodie. His eyes seemed a little drowsy. The painting on his face was obvious that he'd just woken up.

Gradually, she turned away from him, her gaze unable to meet her brothers'. Queen stared from Elliot to her sister-in-law, who wouldn't meet their eyes. She was not Sherlock Holmes, but she could tell that something was up with Gene.

"You look like crap," Victor stated as he walked past his sister and into the apartment, disregarding the awkward atmosphere. His wife followed behind. Gene let out a light sigh, grateful that he wasn't pushing his earlier statement any further or firing any stranger questions. Gently, she shut the door and wished she could disappear that instant.

"Do I?" Elliot commented, a little amused and his voice stronger than earlier just as Victor and Queen left what they were holding on the dining table and made it closer to him.

Victor jokingly slapped his friend's arm. "How can a grown man make people worry so much?" He commented and Elliot smiled a little weakly. Queen smiled at their playfulness.

"How are you doing, Elliot?" She queried, wanting to know the state of his health. He didn't look ill, but he wasn't quite well and Queen simply wanted to show interest in her husband's friend.

"I'm fine, better... mostly because of Gene." He replied as he drifted his eyes to Genevieve, while a smile wore on his face. Their eyes followed his gaze and rested on Gene, who leaned close to the wall, sparing them a glance and trying hard to stare anywhere else but at their face or even meeting their eyes.

"Really?" Victor added, his gaze not leaving his sister.

"Yeah, she has a big heart," Elliot added, still smiling like a fool, and it would be crazy for neither Victor nor his wife to have noticed him, but their gaze was back on Gene.

Genevieve wished more than anything that he would stop praising her.

"Hmm... I guess she does, after all." Victor commented, but it was obvious even to Gene that he was trying to convince himself.

It felt ridiculous to Genevieve. She couldn't keep standing there, trying to avoid their eyes and not alert any misconception, without uttering a word. She let out a light sigh as she leaned away from the wall and gathered up enough courage.

"Look at the time." She spared her wristwatch a glance. A few minutes past seven in the evening.

"It's late. I should go home." She stated before immediately turning away. Elliot was on the verge of speaking up, but suddenly, she drew to a halt on her way towards the door. Steadily, Gene looked down at her feet and that was when she realised she was bare feet. She recalled getting off the bed and walking directly towards the door.

Lightly, she bit her lower lip in regret before turning back and quietly making her way to his room. She didn't want to imagine her brother's expression or what presently must go on in his mind as he watched her head off into his friend's room to put on her slippers.

Elliot wanted to ask her not to leave yet, but he knew he couldn't, especially not when her brother was there. He could tell Gene was having a hard time accepting her feelings for him and he had a good idea what her reasons might be.

Personally, he didn't care about every other thing going on. She simply makes him happy, and he wished he could be a better person just for her. He would give anything to make her comfortable, but pretty much, everything wasn't in his hands. Yet, somehow, he was going to make her understand and realize the truth.

He had to let her go, for then, so he watched as she walked out the door, sparing them a single glance before shutting the door after her.

Victor blinked a few times as he looked away from the door. He didn't like the thoughts that speculated in his head. In fact, it was ridiculous and not something worth his time and energy. Yes, his sister just acted a little... unusual, but it was Gene. She always manages to surprise everyone in various ways. He forced the thought out of his mind and looked up at his friend, who met his eyes. Victor was first to look away as he made his way back to the dining table.

"We got you some fruits and Queen was generous enough to make you something to eat." Victor addressed as he took out a stainless food cooler and Queen smiled at her husband's statement.

"Also, you'll be happy to know she has made jollof rice and some fried plantain." He added and Elliot smiled, but not as wide and vibrant enough as Victor had imagined he would.

"What's wrong? I thought you'll be more excited. You complain about not eating enough homemade food." Victor queried, but Elliot simply shook his head.

"It's nothing. I'm grateful."

"Really? Or don't you have an appetite? I should have gotten some drugs." Victor added as he made a move to head towards the exit, but Elliot was quick to stop him.

"You don't need to do that."

"Why? I need my best architect up and running." Victor stated as he lightly patted his friend on the arm. Elliot let out a light chuckle, grateful for the care.

"Gene already bought some drugs." He confessed even though he'd wanted to keep that from them.

Victor couldn't help raising both brows at the confession. "Oh." He added before his eyes drifted to his wife's. Her expression was simple.

He let out a light laugh as he looked away from his wife. "Let me guess, she also made you something to eat." He added, finding his statement to be impossible.

"Yes," Elliot replied and slowly, the smile on Victor's face subdued, surprised to hear his friend's reply. For a few seconds, he stared at his friend, as the questions piled up, yet he couldn't ask them. He simply didn't want to. Instead, a smile curved upon his face.

"If I didn't know better, I would say my sister has smitten you."

Elliot smiled. "She's a good person... she would smite anyone."