Chapter 22

Everything hurt: my arms, legs, head; everything was pounding.

I didn't remember much about the crash, instead, more about the build-up that occurred beforehand. In all honesty, I didn't remember even getting hurt in the first place, I deemed it all to just be a bad dream.

So when I woke up in a hospital bed, attached to a beeping heart monitor and several IVs, I freaked out.

"What the hell," I mutter, my body thrashing around a bit in an attempt to pull the attachments off of me. I bring my right arm up, intending to use it to turn myself over, however, instead, I only felt a shooting pain flash through it. It was then that I noticed the purple cast wrapped around it.

"Oh god," I groan, wincing in pain as I sling my feet to the side of the hospital bed. When I feel a heavy pull on my left leg, I look down at my dangling legs, noticing the cast wrapped around my foot, as well as the padding wrapped around my ribcage.

"Jesus" I mumble, whipping my head around the room, trying to figure out a way to hoist myself out of here. Immediately, I notice the crutches lent on the wall to my side.

I quickly place my un-injured foot on the ground, proceeding to attempt to hop my way over towards them. However, on my first step in, I topple to the ground, my ribcage emitting a searing pain throughout my entire body. I let out a shriek as my body collides with the ground, a gasp of pain emitting from my mouth as the pain intensifies with the fall.

"Damn," a voice gawks, quickly followed by a string of amused chuckles, "That looked painful." The ringing in my ears nearly blocks out the sound, however, it clears out just enough for me to hear it. The surprise of the unsuspected company has my head whips towards the sound instantly, my expression representing one of a deer stuck in headlights.

With a quick glance, I automatically recognize the girl in the opposite bed.

"Livi? I grumble, not meaning for the sound to come out so harsh. The uncomfortable position I was in on the floor made it hard for me to push myself up onto my butt, and even as I barely managed to, I still struggled to find a comfortable way to lay. I hadn't noticed the other girl's presence earlier, her bed being concealed by a curtain only minutes before. She must have pulled it back when she heard me shuffling around.

"Hey," she smiles, tilting her head to observe my current situation, "Looks like I'm holding up a lot better than you are." She laughs as I slump back down flat onto my back, sitting upright without the proper support being too painful at the moment.

I lift my head up from the floor to give her a glance, brows lifting at her previous response. "Holding up?" I question, confusion evident across my face, quickly following up with another "Why are you here?"

I watch carefully as she pushes herself to sit up straight, her legs swinging to dangle off the side of the bed.

She had the same hospital gown on that I did, her hair braided down the side and a bandage wrapped around her head. Her skin was littered with countless bruises, ranging from yellow to purple, all of which looking painful. She looked pretty beat up, but besides the head wrap and marks, she seemed to be holding up moderately well.

"You're kidding right?" she replies unimpressed, completely poker face as her eyes run over my own. She couldn't seem to understand why I seemed to be so clueless.

She lets out a huff when she realizes that I'm being serious. "Wow," she breathes out, proceeding to lean over her bed frame to get a better look at me flat on the floor, "you must have hit your head harder than I thought."

I nod, agreeing. "That may explain why it hurts so much," I grumble, laying my head back on the floor. I was becoming more tired by the second, the whole fiasco that landed me on the floor in the first place leading me to realize how much energy it caused me to exert.