Chapter 17.1

Chapter Seventeen
"Lana! Lucas! The Hunter's are here," Momma shouted from downstairs.

Lucas and I eyed each other suspiciously as we slowly walked out of our rooms. He practically tiptoed his way through the hall. We both approached the staircase, "You can go first," I squinted at him.

He shook his head, "No, I insist, you can go first,"

I examined the staircase. "We'll go at the same time," I suggested.

He agreed and on the count of four we both took one step down. I gripped onto the railing as tightly as humanly possible, as if my life depended on it, which it very well could. He kept his arms attached to the wall. We made it to the bottom of the stairs at the exact same time. The two of us made our way to our seats, not once breaking eye contact. I heard my mother sigh, "Can you two call a truce for one dinner?" She pleaded.

I pursed my lips, Lucas did the same. "Deal," I drew out slowly, still eyeing him.

He put his hand out to shake. I inspected it first for some kind of electric buzzer. When I didn't find one, I reluctantly shook his hand. The second we released hands, both of our postures relaxed. I took my gaze away from Lucas and took a seat. Caleb raised one eyebrow at me. I ignored his confusion.

The soup in front of us looked surprisingly delicious. I almost debated not putting a miracle gummy in my mouth, almost. I decided it would be best, for safe measure. Momma didn't take her seat as she usually did. Instead, she walked over to the fridge and got two glasses of milk and set them on the counter, "What are those for?" Lucas asked.

"I was in the mood for milk," she shrugged. That still didn't answer why there were two glasses.

Momma fluffed a piece of Lucas's hair up, "You still have purple paint in your hair," she muttered.

Lucas glared at me, "I wonder why,"

I let out a small chortle. It was pretty fun seeing Lucas drenched in purple paint."This is a new recipe so I want you guys to try it at the same time and tell me what you think," Momma grinned.

I gave Lucas a horrified look, new recipes were never a good idea. We both hesitantly picked up our spoons. I scrunched my nose up at it, it smelled funny. At least I won't be able to taste it. These were the moments when I was definitely thankful for the miracle gummies. They could make anything taste good. I took a spoonful and shoved it in my mouth, Lucas did the same. It was sweet with a hint of spice to it. My eyebrows drew together. I was fairly certain that the gummies were meant to eliminate any and all spice. I was never good when it came to spicy food. I hated hot sauce.

I waited to see Lucas's reaction. His face turned ghost white almost immediately. He spat the soup back in his bowl. His face started turning a light red color, his eyes watering immensely. He opened his mouth and started fanning it, his eyes going wild. He eyed the glasses of milk and immediately jumped out of his seat rushing to it. He chugged the first glass in seconds. He reached for the other cup, drinking that one up just as fast. When that didn't work he ran to the fridge and grabbed the whole milk carton. He gulped it down.

Momma didn't look the least bit confused. Traitor! Just as she went to speak Allyson and Vikki burst through the door. They examined the scene in front of them, their eyes sparkling as they watched Lucas in pain. They averted their attention to me, who was calmly sitting at my spot. I was pretty sure I knew what was going on. Vikki gaped at me, "How come you're fine?" She questioned.

I shrugged, putting on an act, "What do you mean?"

Allyson drew her eyebrows, "Take another bite of the soup," she demanded.