Go Tell Your Friends About It

It's not easy growing up in poverty. It's especially not easy growing up in poverty when the economy's crashing down faster than the Great Depression (and especially if there's no job offers even if you have a PhD). It's tough out there- constantly wondering and worrying whether you're gonna have a roof over your head, food on the table, or electricity to pay your bills with. Mama and I are already working nine-to-five jobs, and yet we still have to worry about all of this.

     Mama never went to college; well, that's not technically true. She only went to half a semester before dropping out to work as a checker in our nearest grocery store. She's always told me she's regretted making that decision because unlike her, academics come easily to me without even really cracking open a book. Mama's also told me I've got artistic talent (again, unlike her), so she's always been egging me to make some money using my art skills.

     I suppose Mama's words are true in a way. I've been drawing and taking art classes at school ever since I can remember, and I've always won some awards and been accepted to take AP classes. So maybe I can sell some of my art on the internet. After all, plenty of people have become successful internet artists; if they can do it, then the least I can do is try. I'm not the best artist in the world, but I've got some pretty decent stuff in my sketchbooks and on my computer.

     Making an account on some art-selling site and uploading my art is the easy part, but only doing that isn't going to get me any customers. I gotta advertise myself on all my socials, and that's the hardest part. Mama's never been much of a social person, and I guess I must've gotten that from her. A small part of me wishes she had made me interact with more kids my own age, but that's life for you. It's time to kiss up to other, more popular artists.

     Maybe I can see what those guys are drawing, or maybe I can draw stuff from TV shows kids my age and I have grown up with. There's a cartoon that parodies that survival reality show- that's still popular with my generation, and I've loved it when I was little. Actually, I still do; it's funnier now than back then. I can draw some of my favorite characters and interact with other artists who are into the show.

     But like I've said, I'm not a social butterfly, and advertising my work is the hardest part of making money. Maybe I don't need to directly advertise myself. Maybe I can just compliment and follow those other artists, and they'll naturally come see my work and even buy some of it. Yeah, that's a pretty good strategy.

     So, if any of you are reading this and see my work, then go tell your friends about it.