[46] Demon Lords, Heroes, Guardians, and Gods - Let the Game Begin

Demon Lord. There was a certain pressure to those words. Claire knew them only from novels, but Via knew them from history. No matter which, they were powerful beings with the ability to destroy a world. Silence descended upon the trio. It was hard to continue a conversation once the words were mentioned—especially if you conjectured someone of being that destructive being.

In the end, however, Claire merely shrugged at the situation.

"It doesn't matter, Demon Lord or not, whatever you are, you're still Alicia."

Though she said that, Claire admitted to herself that she did really think Alicia was a Demon Lord. It made sense but, like most things, she didn't care. Plus. . .

'She's my partner. My cute partner.'

At her statement, a smile tugged at the corner of Alicia's visible lips as she showed a fang.

"I knew you would say that," She said.

"Then you know me well."

". . .get a room, you two."

Claire rolled her eyes and turned back to the bunny, looking for more information. If Alicia even had a chance of being the Demon Lord, then maybe she ought to take this world a bit more seriously, less some heroes come swinging their blades at them both.

"So, practically speaking, the tower is a trial that picks possible party members for the heroes, right?"

"Basically," Via nodded.

Claire held her chin and mused, "Does that not make no sense, however? Are there not quite a lot of heroes already, as far as I can tell, what's the need for the regular masses to join in? Could they not party with each other?"

At her statement, Via laughed.

"Together? Don't be silly. The heroes aren't companions, they are competitors working against each other. The first to complete his or her 'Story' not only retain all their power but also devours the powers of the others. There can only be one hero. The current numbers merely exist to shift through and find the best, and the tower exists to find companions to help their chosen hero compete with one another."

The bunny chuckled, "Two heroes have already been killed by Lain, Hero of Light. If that was teamwork, then I can only laugh."

"Now that's surprising. . .and different from the usual plot. . ." Claire said, her eyes widened specifically at the words 'Hero of Light' as she remembered Feith's desperation. "Then, which hero is winning right now?"

Via grinned, a playful smile on her lips.

"If your friend is really the Demon Lord, then you should be worried because the one and only Sword Saint is currently winning. There are only two chapters left to his story and, let me tell you, you don't want to fight him."

Claire and Alicia glanced at each other, both remembering 'A Single Strike Against the Heavens.' The boy in the vision from days passed had slashed down, breaking air and space, slicing and severing a behemoth beast into two. It had been so effortless as to look like he merely divided butter.

"I've fought him before when he was a new adventurer. I didn't even blink and there was a blade at my throat." Via stared at the tower. "In my haste, I tried to chase after his back, but the Trial of the Hero was more difficult than I thought it would be."

The bunny's ears slumped and she glanced back at the two girls, her lips hanging an awkward smile.

"And, just like that, I lost my chance forever. He wouldn't even spare me a glance after that failure of mine."