February 25 @ 7:45 P.M.: Iris

"So, um... What... exactly... happened this morning, with you oversleeping and getting drunk yesterday? If... If you don't mind telling me about those bad news now?" I air-blasted a bubble-gum balloon, whose shade mimicked my today's thankfully-dry salmon strands. "Just putting it out there, you know..." I whistled inconspicuously in Rena's general direction, hoping to fish out some extra info.

Rena refused to talk about her drunken driving with me since yesterday, and I had been waiting for a quiet moment to gently prod her. That moment was now, fifteen minutes before closing time and the customers gone.

I had already done my part of tidying up, joyfully humming through my favorite section--the niche for the lil' uns.

Million Year Picnic sold the hottest, most brightly colored comics on the rack. We were spreading kiddie love for comics far and wide, fueling their Marvel-ous superpowered dreams.

I liked to think we weren't only peddling comics. We were also shaping up future personalities. These beloved superheroes would inspire kids to become the best versions of themselves.

They would learn that with great power of making adult decisions also came a great responsibility, as well as how to be kind to everyone. 

Rena still hadn't answered my question.

I prodded again. "About the bad news...?

Only a defiant harrumph and a vigorous head shake replied from the massive shop window. The sudden motion of Rena's voluminous head crown wrecked the Star Wars figurines stand.

I managed to catch and safely cradle a miniature Darth Vader, eked out with the possibility of its destruction.

"I am not clumsy," Rena finally grumbled, not turning around to face me. "It's just... The floor  hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, and the walls get in my way."

On a scale from one to Hermione, the bushiness of Rena's hair exceeded the limits.

Maybe I should have used the scale of one to Hagrid.

Rena's head whipped around as she tossed the squeegee to the side, her "Million Year Picnic" white and green tee sprinkled with soapy bubbles.

Her face was hidden behind the dark springs.

Holy guacamole.

Wait a goddamn second.

Was she... Tearing up? Rena almost never cried in front of me!

"Hey, are you okay?" I extended my palm to awkward-pat her on the mushy cheek. "Talk to me. You know I'm always here for you, R."

This time, thankfully Rena did not back away.

I sensed she was about to open up to me.

"I am fully aware that many years ago we agreed I will only console you when you are sad because of the foodie call dates and mediocre sexual encounters you had, but... I have a feeling it's not either of those cases, this time?"

"No, Iris." She swallowed. "No, it's not. This time it is something a lot more serious."

"Ha!" I fisted the air triumphantly. "I knew it! Sorry." I added sheepishly after Rena glared at me. "What happened?"

"Oh, Iris, I just don't know what to do!" Rena fell into my arms.

I caught her small frame with ease, patting her nape and allowing a flood of biblical proportions to soak my coat lapels.

Sometimes it is just easier to cry it all out instead of holding it in.

"Blackbury Comics opened just around the corner."

Whoa. What a truth bomb drop right there!

"Wait, what? When?" My mouth stubbornly refused to abandon the "O" shape it had formed.

"It happened last week. I hadn't told you immediately because I didn't want you to worry. I hoped it wouldn't affect us, Iris. We... weren't doing so great even before they arrived. But now? It's just... I don't think we're going to survive." Rena bit into her palm and shook her head.

Blackbury. Comics. Holy shite. They were big. The biggest feckin' franchise in Boston, Mass.

They had it all. Wares, posters, gag gifts, cult movie memorabilia...

So much bigger, so much shinier... so much... more corporate successful-y. More everything than us.

What could this mean for a Million Year Picnic?

This shop meant everything to me. It was my whole world.

I started imagining what this could do to us, especially if I had to move back to my mom's place because I suddenly couldn't afford to pay my rent.

"Iris?" Rena spooked me out of my already spooky mind-slide.

"I'm so sorry! I think I just lived through what we tend to call a Domino Effect." I spat out, almost unaware I had been pulling lil' Vader's helmet on and off of his head. "Listen. I know we usually say we need to stop being sad and be awesome instead, but I... It's just not a good moment for me. My life was not sunshine, unicorns, and glitter yesterday." I hummed the lines out in frustration and began pacing through the store.

The colorful cover page of the Adventures of Captain Smiley caught my eye.

Smiley! This reminded me of my train man.

Realizing I was grinning, I turned to face Rena. "But don't despair. We'll get over this together. Things may look like a dark and dreary umbrella now. But there might be smileys hidden in its folds."

Rena stared at me as if I had lost my mind.