Chapter 3: Another Mother

I was frozen on the ground staring back at my dream man. The same one from last night. He frowned in concern and took a step forward and I snapped my head forward, wiping at my eyes. I don't know why I felt self-conscious in a dream. It was a dream. He couldn't reject me in a dream, could he? God, in my mind he probably could.

I felt Rykan's arms come around me and suddenly I was on his lap, his hand rubbing my back. "What's wrong?" He asked.

Something about being in his arms felt so incredibly right and I couldn't stop myself; I curled into him, feeling comforted by his presence for reasons I could not understand. It must've been because it was a dream. I sniffled and shook my head, not wanting to admit I let Jackass get to me again. Rykan didn't ask again, just held me, rubbing circles in my back and kissing my head.

I managed to stop crying after far too long. I was glad this was a dream because otherwise I'd be mortified. I even felt a little mortified in the dream even though I was the only one that would know about it.

"What happened?" He asked as I wiped at my last tears.

"Nothing. It's stupid," I said, sitting up and carefully wiping under my eyes.

I was probably a mess of makeup right now. I stood unsteadily and tried to smooth out my hair. Ryakn stood as well, crossing his arms.

"It isn't. Tell me what happened. My woman should not be crying like that, especially not in a dress like this," he said, his eyes drifting up and down my length

"Do you... Like my dress?" I asked, looking over at him.

His eyes darkened and he took a step towards me, brushing his fingers against my cheek and neck.

"I like it very much," he said, dropping his hand down and taking mine, his thumb brushing over my knuckles. "You look stunning."

"How can you say that?" I laugh-cried. "I'm a mess."

"A hot mess," he said, raising his eyebrows.

I couldn't help the stupid giggle that escaped me, although it came with another threat of more tears. Rykan stepped forward again, cupping my face with his hands and nuzzling his nose against mine.

"Tell me what happened," he murmured.

He might've been the only person in the world that could speak gently and yet sound so commanding. It was kind of hot.

"I just let someone's stupid comments get to me, that's all," I mumbled, leaning into him.

"Someone who?" He asked.

Damn. Okay. Now there was a little edge to his voice that just made him even hotter.

"Evan. He just... basically told me I look like a hooker and don't look good in this dress and I shouldn't have let it bother me bu-"

"Who's Evan?" He growled, his hands dropping to my hips.

"My husband," I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Husband?" He repeated, his eyes going wide.

"Yes..."

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," he groaned, a low growl escaping him as he closed his eyes and breathed in and out before meeting my gaze again. "Why are you married? Why are you married to someone that says shit like that?"