Chapter 7 - Conflagrate

I kept rolling and turning. I eventually fell asleep but my dad's face kept reoccurring in my nightmares. I figured out it was best not to sleep again. It was already like 3am, so there was barely any point of sleeping again.

Soon enough, dawn arose and it was a new day. I remembered what my dad had said about taking a sheet of paper and pointing directly at the sun. There was plenty of time for that, he told me to leave tomorrow- I recalled.

All I wanted was just wanted a standard peaceful day free from drama. I heard a bell being rang and sat down on my bed in confusion.

Immediately everyone in my room got up minus Sully. We had to shake her consistently before she finally woke up. I was wondering why she was hard to awake considering the fact that she was only awake for some few minutes.

We all had our bathes turn by turn since there was only one bathroom and got dressed up for day. Ife had to leave earlier because she one of the people supposed to prepare breakfast.

Sully kept directing awkward stares towards me. I really had to talk to her to make sure she doesn't make Ms Redwood aware that my already dead dad came to see me last night. I trusted her enough to know that she wouldn't blab but I wanted to be sure, call me paranoid.

"Hey Sully" I whispered quietly as we were going downstairs

"Yeah?" She said slowly. I put both my hands into the pockets of my jeans and I was actually lost of words at that spot.

"Ermmm, about last night" I quietly said "Could you like maybe not tell anyone especially Ms Redwood" I looked at her with puppy dog eyes

Sully started laughing "What are you trying to do with your eyes" Anjola and Cherry had always said that I needed to learn how to pull off the puppy dog eyes. According to them whenever I used the puppy dog eyes, I always looked like I wanted to throw up.

Guess it didn't work.

"I was never planning on ever telling anyone- not even Ms Redwood" She said "You can definitely trust me"

"Gee, thanks" I smiled. I was about to start walking away until she said "But then-"She paused. I looked at her expectantly waiting for her to complete her sentence.

"What?" I said and halted on my tracks

"Are you leaving?" She quietly asked

I started scratching my head "Um, sort of"

"With your dad?" She further pried

"Not exactly" I said trying not to give her a somber look.

Obviously, I couldn't start explaining how my dad disintegrated into pieces right in my hands. I didn't want to freak her out and also she already knew too much- or I had told her too much already.

Either ways, it was better to leave things unsaid. I'm guessing she saw my expression and decided not to ask further questions anymore. I gave her a grateful look.

We had gotten to the small dining room; we just needed to enter which we did. The dining room was really small with one huge table that could barely take everyone but somehow they made it work.

Everyone was seated and breakfast was being served. When everyone had been served, a prayer was said and everyone started eating.

The food was low budget mashed potatoes with eggs. I didn't have an appetite but I at least made sure I ate a small portion before I gave the remaining to Josiah.

He literally begged me to give him the remaining portion. He was actually an adorable little boy when he wasn't being chatty.

"Cali, do you know the basketball championships are this night, we are going to know who the better player between Stephen Curry and LeBron James" Josiah informed me happily.