Chapter 7: Gay Boys Hit Town

Douglass

Over the next week, me and Nate fell into an easy rhythm around each other. Every morning, I would make breakfast and we would eat, then we would do various things throughout the day until lunchtime; like organizing my shelves, which I never bothered to do. I would usually swim out into the cove at the entrance to my cave and gather ingredients for lunch or just swim and give Nate some alone time. He had taken to trying to learn the ancient fighting techniques in one of my many books while I was on these swims and while I made lunch. After lunch, I would practice my spell work and potion making and Nate would just wander through my many tunnels and caves. Not even I had been through all of them, only the ones nearest my main room. We'd read after dinner until we decided to go to bed.

I'd told myself I would leave before someone got hurt, but... I couldn't bring myself to do it. It couldn't hurt to stay a little while longer, right?

I was cooking some salmon over a fire when Nate came out from one of the tunnels. "Douglass!"

I startled, almost dropping my mixed seasoning. "What?"

I turned around and he was jumping excitedly in my face. "Guess what! I found a tunnel leading to the jungle on the island!"

I blinked. "I didn't think any led to land."

He nodded. "Do you think we could go out for dinner tonight?"

I pursed my lips. "I don't know... what if your uncle and his workers catch us?"

He waved me off. "He hardly ever leaves the center except to go to his house."

I chewed my lip. "He probably has people everywhere."

Nate gave me puppy-dog eyes and poked my side. "Please, please, please?"

I sighed, rubbing my head. "I guess I can put a protective spell over us or something."

He threw his arms up, saying "Yes!" excitedly.

"I'm going to get ready." He looked around. "Do you have like a room of clothes or something?"

I angled my head. "What's wrong with what you're wearing?"

He looked down at his baggy grey pants. "Well, people usually don't just wear pants and no shoes or a shirt when they go out in public."

"Oh." I walked over to the lounge. "I think I have some clothes in my chest."

I opened it, revealing piles of neatly folded clothes, shoes, and undergarments. "Will this work?"

He started looking through, pulling out various things. "I can pull something together. I, however, am going to go back to my apartment."

My heart dropped a little. Did he want to leave? I thought he liked it here. I hid my disappointment well, though. "Oh, okay. I'll take you there after we eat, if you want."

He smiled. "Perfect."

I forced myself to smile back, though I wasn't sure if it met my eyes.

When Nate was done dressing, he came out in a tight black t-shirt up, black high waisted pants and his boots, which I had washed and dried, assuming he'd like to keep them. I'd managed to salvage what I could from his leather jacket, but the sleeve had been ripped beyond repair from the bullet. He now wore it with its sleeves ripped off and the rest of it roughed up a bit. With his piercings and the chain jewelry he'd saved from his clothes when I'd brought him here, he looked really hot.

I was sure I was flushing as he walked towards me. "You look nice."

He smiled. "Thanks. What are you going to wear?"