Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

05: Implode

POPPY

I glance at the empty shot glasses on the table. Oops, I accidentally drank too much. Asher's forcing me to chug two glasses of water but I already feel so bloated. Priya seems to be having a great time. She's on the dance floor right now grinding with Chad. He probably thinks he's going to take her home tonight. Little does he know Priya has a strict no sex policy. She likes to have fun and mess around, but she doesn't seal the deal... anymore. I think she's scared to get hurt again. She lost her virginity last year to a guy in her Intro to chemistry class. He was really sweet and a total nerd but she soon learned that even nerds can be fuckboys.

"Finish your water," Asher demands as he hands me the glass.

"I don't want it!" I whine as I rest my head on the table. "I'm fine."

"You're falling asleep at a club." Asher pushes me back up into a sitting position. "Does that seem fine to you? Drink."

I grunt as I take a slow sip. "You're so annoying."

"You won't be saying that in the morning when you wake up hangover-free." Asher's gaze buries into my tired eyes. "I need to piss. Will you be ok for a few minutes?"

"Yeah," I mumble incoherently and wave him away. Asher's been surprisingly good company. Although, he didn't want to do shots with me earlier so that was lame.

If Gabe were here he'd probably yell at me for getting too drunk. Or, for being at a club in general. My parents loved him because he was a good influence. Not that I was out of control or anything but Gabe was definitely more wholesome. I suppose he had to be, considering our Pastor was his uncle. Ugh, I miss him.

I pull out my cell phone, and close one eye as I scroll through my favourites. I click on Gabe Abbott. The line rings. Pick up, pick up.

"Hello?" Gabe answers in a groggy voice. My heart flutters.

"Hi, it's me," I say as I hold a finger against one ear.

"I can barely hear you, Poppy. Where are you?"

"One second." I stand up and begin to walk towards the bathroom. Pausing in the hallway I slide down the wall and sit on the ground. "Is that better?"

"Poppy, it's almost midnight. Why are you calling me?" Gabriel's irritation is palpable over the phone.

I feel my eyes begin to water. "Because I miss you, Gabe."

My ex-boyfriend sighs. "You can't keep doing this. You're the one who left me."

"I didn't leave you! I left Trenton to go to school, Gabriel!" I yell as my chest starts to ache. He wanted me to join him at uPenn but then I received a scholarship to NYU.

"It's the same thing, Poppy."

"No, it's not." I wipe a hot tear off my face. "I wanted to do long distance."

"Long distance doesn't work."

"And how would you know? You broke up with me before we could even try!"

"Poppy, it's been a year. Just get over it."

My heart sinks to my stomach. He's telling me to get over it? He's the one who texts me practically everyday. He's the one who still sends me heart emojis and says 'I love you'.

"How can you say that?" I cry. A muffled female voice looms through the speaker and my heart rate increases. "Are you- are you with someone right now?"

"Uh- listen. I gotta go, Poppy."

"What? No. Answer me! Who is that?"

"Stop calling him, Poppy. You're acting pathetic," a faint voice answers. I'd recognize that voice in my sleep.