Chapter Twenty One

XXI
• • •

        "Nahhh, Cheerios are where it's at," Seth disagreed as we worked behind the counter.

"Wh- but Cheerios are just the more boring version of Froot Loops," I countered, drying some cups with a towel.

"No they're not- Froot Loops are just the less healthy version of Cheerios," he argued.

"But they taste so good," I continued to disagree.

"You got so many different types of Cheerios, too, like- you want honey nut? Boom, you can have it. You want frosted? Boom, you can have it." He listed, and I shook my head.

"Well, Froot Loops don't need a million flavors to be spectacular," I responded.

This mindless argument went on for a few more minutes, before Seth went up to the register to take someone's order. We had the closing shift of the night, so it wasn't very busy.

"Hi, could have a medium caramel macchiato?" I heard her ask. Her voice made her seem like a valley-girl, and she had bleach blonde hair. She wore a university sweatshirt from a college nearby.

"Sure thing," Seth responded charismatically, pressing buttons on the register's screen.

"I like your uniform, it suits you well," she smiled up at him, and he smiled as well while he continued placing the order.

"Thanks, the visor's my personal favorite part," he replied jokingly, and she laughed... a little too loud if I might add. I grinned to myself as I started making the drink.

"Are you from around here?" She asked him.

"Yeah, I go to school nearby. Will that be all for today?" He asked with a smile.

"Just the drink, yea," she replied with the same intrigued smile and batting eyelashes.

"That'll be 4.50," he told her, and she handed him her card, which we proceeded to scan and hand back to her. Once I handed her her drink, she turned back to face Seth.

"I hope to see you around," she said and winked. He said bye and then absentmindedly proceeded to continue cleaning the dirty dishes.

"That was cute," I teased.

"Huh? What was?" He asked, clearly not understanding what just happened. I rolled my eyes at him.

"She was flirting with you," I told him, and he went to deny it, but then his eyes widened.

"Oh shit, she totally was," he replied, and I chuckled. "Damnit, she was cute as hell I coulda shot my shot."

"I mean, something tells me she'll be back here soon," I replied.

"Hopefully," he responded, before looking up at the door, which had just been opened. "Your friends are here," he told me, and I shifted my gaze over to the door.

"Heyyyy," Ali said when she got to the counter. I smiled at her and Ace.

"Hey guys! How are ya?"

"I've had a pretty fantastic day, how about yourself, babes?" Ace responded.

"Well, I had a ton of classes and then work right after... but once I'm done with this shift I'm home free," I replied.

"Yesss- Me and Ace are gonna head back to the dorm and we'll meet you there for some face masks and wine?" She raised her eyebrows and I smiled.

"Do you even have to ask?" I answered, and she chuckled.

They ordered and we gave them their drinks. Ace flirted with Seth, but much less casually than that blonde girl. I chuckled to myself as Seth kept nicely rejecting him, to no avail. Once the two of them left, there was barely any time left in our shift.