Chapter 23

Wednesday July 2, 2008

Reuben pulled up in front of Bill’s house and parked the car.

Bill thanked Reuben for the ride home and then said, “Twenty-six years on the force and this is how I’m treated? I’m getting crucified because they have no other explanation and they need a fall guy. I still can’t believe they suspended me!  What a crock of shit.”

“Bill, I’m happy to help. I’ll sit here and talk as long as you want. I think you’re right, you’re the fall guy. The press is going nuts over Collins escaping from the station. Everyone from the Mayor on down is catching heat, but you know how shit rolls downhill and guys like us are in the valley. Since there’s no good way to explain how Collins escaped, they figure he had to have help, and you were friends with him so they’re pinning it on you.”

“But why?” asked Bill, “Why would I try to help Collins? I’ve got no motive to help him. It doesn’t make any sense. Even a lazy dumb-shit like the chief should be able to figure this one out.”

“It doesn’t have to make sense, Sean it only has to get their collective ass out of the hot seat. The chief and the mayor needed someone to blame and you were the best excuse they could find.”

“But Reuben, none of this explains how he managed to escape. There’s no way he could have walked out of the station, not with the locked doors and forty cops in the building. And even if, by some miracle he did manage to walk out, we would’ve seen him on the surveillance cameras. He couldn’t have done it alone, he had to have help. You and I both know I had nothing to do with it. What we need to be worried about is the fact that we have a psycho killer loose on the streets. Collins and whoever else helped him escape.”

“Bill, we have every cop in the city looking for him not to mention that his picture is on every television in the country by now. We’ll find him, it’s just a matter of time.”

Bill began ranting, “I can’t fucking believe it, I mean I just can’t believe they suspended me. I think they’re going to fire me, I really do. I’ll lose my pension, and then what am I going to do for work? Being a cop is all I know how to do. Fuck me, it’s all I want to do.”

Reuben asked, “How are things going at home?”

Bill replied, “Mary abandoned me a long time ago but she never got around to leaving the house. It was just easier that way. Well, she finally tied up the loose ends and told me last week that she’s moving out, so I can’t even depend on any support from her. She’s living at her sister’s house now. I don’t know what I’m going to do. My entire life is going to hell.”

Reuben hesitated then said, “Bill, I’ll do everything I can to help you through this, I promise.”

Bill mustered a weak smile and said, “Yeah, thanks Reuben, I know you mean it. Everyone else’s left me out in the cold but not you. Who would’ve thought you’d turn out to be my best friend when things got tough? Even though I might not show it right now, I do appreciate it. I’m going inside to make some dinner and have a stiff drink. Thanks again for the ride. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” 

As Bill exited the car he thought about asking Reuben in for a drink but he felt too abandoned and alone. So alone that having someone nearby would only make him feel worse. The kind of alone that he had to deal with in his own mind without distraction.

A surge of emotion rushed through him, welling up tears to his face, but he fought them back like a child that wanted to prove he was tough to his friends.

There would be no crying in front of Reuben. Bill was always the tough logical one, and crying was neither of those, so he turned quickly and made for the doorway. Once inside, he stood with his back to the door and wiped away the one tear that had escaped. He flicked his finger and sent the tear across the room, despising it, cursing it as it disappeared into the carpet. Anger was now replacing his weaker emotions. His mind cleared, and he had a thought.