Wave Fifty Four

They travelled for leagues and leagues. Leira knew the thrill of their adventure was wearing off. Tal’s face looked worn, and Nerida had settled into a nervous silence. Leira held the red orb in front of her as they swam. Its light cast scarlet rays into the waves ahead of them. They passed beyond the old nest in a hushed mood, scarcely daring to whisper. Leira kept her eyes fixed ahead, refusing to look. She breathed easier once they passed it, but kept her eyes on the horizon. It was becoming lighter and lighter every second. 

Leira dimmed her wristpiece and watched as the others followed her lead. She shoved Firth’s orb into Nerida’s bag. Looking around, she could still see the others’ faces as clearly as if she’d had the orb turned up. The water was hotter here too and with every stroke of their tails, more light surrounded them. Schools of fish clouded their vision, an assortment of shades darting about. They swam up to the Mer as though curious, and the Scouts marvelled at the burst of colour that brightened the sea around them.

Another sweep of her tail brought Leira to the Surface and she gasped as she breached it. Warm air swirled onto her face; her hair was plastered to her shoulders. A huge orb – brighter than any Leira had ever seen – hung in the air above them. It must be a Source, Leira thought to herself. Looking across the water, Leira saw that the Source’s beams were bouncing across the waves, causing them to sparkle. Small waves crashed around her, and Leira laughed with joy at the sound of them. In the distance, Leira could make out a dark shape. It looked like a huge rock had been called from the ground, out of the sea bed. It was covered in greenery, and Leira saw strange creatures ambling about.

A flash of movement caught her eye - something white pelted through the air and crashed into the water. Seconds later it emerged and soared away, a fat fish wriggling in its yellow mouth.
(What is this place?) Tal projected timidly. Leira had been so captivated, she hadn’t noticed the others join her.
(It’s beautiful,) Nerida replied. She stretched out her pale arms, soaking up the warmth in the air. Tilting her head back, Leira felt the breeze on her face and wondered why her Herd had dived so far below. So much beauty existed in the shallows.

Reluctantly, Leira tore her eyes away from the Surface, and the four began to swim across the waves. They jumped and dived as the waves crested and crashed. Plunging in and out of the foam, Leira felt free of her grief. Skimming across the Surface was the perfect escape; she couldn’t be further from the Herd. Smiling across at her friends, Leira projected her gratitude to them. So distracted were they, they didn’t see the Surface Mer until she was almost upon them.