Christian's Unchained Melody

This is it

This is it. This is a very special chapter, you guys. Please do tell me what you think on the comments below and I'll respond immediately. Give this chapter a vote if you like it. TGIF!!!

Kylie

I curled up on the couch, squishing the throw pillows to my chest and hoped they ease the piercing pain. I have tried to keep my mind off it. But it's harder on a weekend when Audrey insisted I relax. I've stayed in the bathroom taking the longest shower I had in my life. I've blown out my hair, fixed the redness of my eyes with eyedrops and some concealer for my dark circles. I cleaned every spot of my apartment.

It wasn't enough.

After all that, I still feel not okay.

"How about a bite of this cupcake?" Jessica is sitting Indian style in front of my coffee table where an assortment of all things sweet were untouched.

I shake my head. "I'm still full."

Her mouth purses. "You want another hug?"

"It's okay," I say even when fresh new tears threatened to spill. "Thank you for spending your Sunday night with me."

"I can't imagine spending my nights anywhere else. And if you need anything, I'm right next door, okay?"

I nodded. "Thanks."

She gives me a soft smile.

I was going to be fine. But my phone rings and then his name appears on the screen. I put it back face down on the coffee table, waited until it stopped.

Suddenly, the tears came. I pressed myself on the throw pillow, hoping to muffle my sobs. Jess was beside me on the couch in an instant, her arms around me. "You'll be okay. It's just a matter of time."

My shoulders shook from huge hideous sob as her hand does a comforting stroke on my arm. She let me have good cry – like other nights.

"Kylie, do you hear that?"

"What? My heart shattering into pieces?" I sobbed.

She pulls back slightly. "No. I'm hearing something."

I hold back a sob. "What is it? It might be the neighbors again."

"No. I don't think so." She puts a finger over her lips.

We stayed silent. And sure enough, there was a strain of trumpets coming from outside. And there's trombones and saxophones too. There wasn't any lyrics, but I recognized the song.

I froze.

"Are they playing Unchained Melody?" Jess springs off the couch and skidded to my reading window. She gasped, then looked over her shoulder. "Kylie, it's a marching band!"

My heart jumped.

"And your boyfriend is here," she squealed. "Come look."

But I don't want to. I couldn't get myself off the couch. I stayed there until the song ends. My phone rings again, but I couldn't have the courage to answer.