Chapter 11: Colors of the spectrum

********************************

"Who's Ayden?" My mom asked me as soon as I finished my breakfast. The water I was trying to drink now ended up choking me as I coughed violently, trying to stay standing against the fridge like a dying seaweed stuck to it.

Did I hear that right? Did she say Ayden?

Play dumb Skyler, just play dumb.

"A-Ayden? Ayden who?" Okay, not that dumb!

"That's what I asked you." She deadpanned. "And don't try to pretend like you don't know who he is..."

Why is she suddenly asking about Ayden?

"Oh Ayden, he's at my school, we have a few classes together..." I said, as I slowly sat down on the chair at the dining table, pretending as if I just realised who he was and that he and I were merely acquainted.

"So you don't really know him...?" She asked. This sounded like a normal question, but why do I feel like she's onto me?

"Not really." I shrugged, forcing my movements to stay nonchalant.

"Then why were Riley and Mia talking about him like he was the new Celebrity in town?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"How do you-...you eavesdropped on our conversation!" I accused as I narrowed my eyes at her, but she wasn't the least bit affected.

"No, I didn't. You girls were talking pretty loudly and I just happened to overhear a little bit." She said. "But that's not the point, who is this Ayden? Is he handsome?"

"Wait, is he that boy who once came home to do some English homework with you?" Dad asked from where he was sitting on the couch looking at his phone. He was clearly listening to every word being exchanged but just didn't participate... Until now that is.

I thought about what he said, and then realised it was true. "Yeah..." I admitted. My dad's memory was remarkable. Why couldn't I inherit his smart brain, I'm stuck with a dumb one!

"He was quite handsome." He said to my mom and she smiled with delight at the revelation.

"Is he good at studies, sports, art? Where does he wanna go for college?" She fired questions at me.

But my dad decided to answer, "he seemed quite smart from what I recall, he even said Skyler was too slow-witted and was gonna wreck his project."

Wow. I forgot he said that... he was so mean.

"He sounds ambitious." My mom said.

Ambitious? Really? After he called your daughter slow-witted?

"So when can we meet him?" She asked, looking way too hopeful.

"Why would you meet him?" I frowned, this is making no sense.

"Well, from the way you girls were talking about him I figured you liked him." She said, I cringed at how spot-on it was.

"Exactly how much did you hear mom?" I asked flatly.

"Just enough to get a good idea of how things are..." She said a little hesitantly.

Well isn't that just awesome... maybe she should enlighten me because I don't know how things are between us.

"I'm so glad, you finally have a boyfriend." She grinned, "you should invite him for dinner!" She suggested.

"I could make him my special dishes..." Dad piped up. "He's not allergic to anything, is he?"