Chapter 35 - Olivia

I crane my neck to get a better view, trying to see past the head in front of me.

"Should I put you on my shoulders?" Dad asks seriously. I toss him a glare and smack his shoulder. "I'm just kidding, sweet pea!"

"Now is not the time," I mumble.

"He'll show," Mom answers from my other side.

I sigh and lean back in my chair, crossing my arms. "I wouldn't put it past him not to. Maybe I should go look for him."

"He'll show," Dad repeats and kisses my temple. "Even if he doesn't, it's okay."

"He can't miss his own graduation."

It was hard enough dragging Lucas here. He fought me tooth and nail when we woke up this morning. And I do mean fight. He was pissy about graduating, said it made no difference if his mom wasn't here, and didn't exactly like it when I said he's not doing her any favours by ditching. We got into a screaming match that scared Uncle Jax and Landon out of the house and Lucas proceeded to ignore me while I got ready for his ceremony. I was going either way and he knew it, knew he couldn't stop me. He reluctantly got ready too but not before angry fucking me bent over his desk. We were still mad at each other on the drive over and we parted ways when we got here.

I came to the field where the ceremony is being held and he went to student hall to get into gown. At least that's what he told me. I didn't spot him when all the graduates came out and took their seats at the front. I've been sitting here with Mom and Dad for the past half hour with no way to know if Lucas is going to attend the ceremony. He won't answer my calls either.

"Any luck?" I lean forward to look down the row where Uncle Jaxon is sitting. Beside him is Landon, Lizzie, and Mason who's holding Emilia. I can't believe she's already five-months-old.

"No," Uncle Jax pockets his phone with a sigh. "It's up to him if he wants to show, Liv."

I frown but don't say anything. The thing is his graduation was really important to Aunt Emily. I know so because she had big plans for this day, plans she entrusted me to see through during her final days. When she was saying her goodbyes to me, she made sure to leave me with this one last job to do for her. She was really excited about this day and I don't want Lucas to miss it. Nobody else knows about this so I stay quiet, sulking in my seat instead. I clutch my laptop closer to me and silently hope he walks across that stage.

"Why are you carrying that?" Uncle Nate asks from beside Mom. Aunt Del and Ava are with him, here for Zack. The rest of the family will be at the after party because three former Fighter's Den boxers are already attracting too much attention. "Do you want me to put it in my car?"

"No," I keep my eyes ahead, trying to hold back a smile. If this goes through, it's going to be great and I don't want anyone to even guess what's going to happen. "It's okay."

"She's being weird," Dad stage-whispers to Mom. "Do it back to her."

Mom leans in closer to me. "Did you accidentally search up something you don't want us to see? Is it porn? Because that's fine."

"Mamá!" I gape at her. Down the row the Cages and Hunters lose their shit, audibly snickering and doing an awful job of hiding it. Only Ava blinks in confusion. I bury my face in my palm.

"Not that kind of weird." I don't have to look at Dad to know he's horrified. I can hear it in his voice. "Let me live in my fantasy world where my daughter doesn't know anything about sex."

"While dating my son?" Uncle Jaxon snorts.

"Shut up!" Dad and I hiss at the same time. Uncle Jaxon's hands go up in surrender.