Chapter Thirty-three - how do you explain

How Do You Explain to People You're Some Kind of Zombie Immune Freak?

I didn't fall back asleep. I tried. I squeezed my eyes shut and listened to Nathan's steady breathing. At a time when I should have been thrilled I felt hollow inside. Numb, I turned toward Nathan as he slept. He didn't move. He didn't reassure me that everything was okay.

If I knew about this four years ago how many lives could have been spared? Becca wouldn't be dead.

I took a deep breath and tried to swallow my apprehension. I knew I had an important part to play in the world now. I moved off the bed slowly and across the room picking up my clothing as I went. It had to be well past ten. I dressed and walked around the apartment examining it as if I had never been there. A wall had been knocked down between the living room and the next home. The occupants had vacated long ago. Nathan had transformed it into a miniature laboratory. He did his experiments, had all of his samples, and medical supplies stored there. Well, most of the medical supplies. His emergency back-ups and the narcotics were kept safe in his apartment.

This is where he turned me into his human guinea pig.

A cold sweat broke out across my forehead. Suddenly I was terrified of what we discovered.

"What's wrong?" Nathan asked from the other side of the demolished wall.

"I don't want to be turned into one of your science experiments."

"You're not!" he exclaimed coming toward me. "I promise I'm going to do this as fast as I possibly can. I know it's going to be rough having your blood taken so much, but I swear you're not a science experiment."

"How long will it take?" I wrapped my arms around his waist, closed my eyes, and inhaled his scent deeply. He smelled so spicy.

"I don't know," he replied.

I gazed up at his face. He looked so concerned. I reached a hand up and stroked his cheek.

"I'll be fine."

"I know this is hard on you," he sympathized, grabbing my hand.

"Nathan, I'm fine. I know I seem all over the place, but whatever is in my blood is important. I know this has to be done. Don't worry."

"I promise I won't tell anyone about it. I'm just going to tell them I came up with a vaccine or something."

"Why not just tell everyone?"

"I don't want you harvested for your blood and becoming government property," he crooned wrapping his arms around me.

"Harvested? What?"

"I'm probably just overthinking everything."

"Don't freak me out, Nathan."

"I'm sorry, Emma. You won't be harvested." He smiled down at me.

"I better not be. I like being alive now that, well you know."

"No I don't," he replied.

"Yes you do."

"Tell me."

"Now that we've finally told each other the big L word."

He laughed lightly and pressed his lips to mine.

"I hope we're not interrupting," my dad said from behind us.

"Not at all," I told him stepping away from Nathan.