Chapter Thirty-Four

Ever since Margo told me that her psychotic ex-boyfriend is the reason why Hank uses me as a human punching bag—and also the reason why her daughter, Cynthia, committed suicide—I've had a lot to think about. This Anson guy did a number on the Dodds family.

Damian's reaction to the revelation surprised me. His response consisted of only five words: "Don't try to find Anson."

"Why would I go looking for him?" I exclaimed. "Every bad thing that's ever happened to me can be traced back to him and all of the horrific things he did. I don't want to be anywhere near him."

He shook his head. "I know you, Layla. You think having all the information is the same as having all the answers. But it's not."

Damian's advice keeps replaying in my head as I sit in Taisley's extravagant kitchen. I wrap my fingers around the can of diet cola that I have yet to take a sip from. Behind me, I hear the front door open, followed by a pair of footsteps that are too heavy to be Taisley's but too quiet to be her father's. Without looking, I know Zane is home.

Another thing I've been thinking a lot about.

I'm not stupid. I know that he's a player. Taisley's step-brother is an older, more attractive version of Evan Miller. My five-minute interaction with him told me all I needed to know: he's bad news.

But I can't forget the way it felt when he caressed my lips with this thumb. Or the way he looked at me like I was the only other person on the planet. Or the fact that the butterflies in my stomach flap around like they're on cocaine whenever he's around.

I'm attracted to him. I can't deny it. I refuse to be another notch in his belt, though.

"Hey, Layla." Zane's voice is sultry and coated with sex. "Are you all alone?"

"Taisley's upstairs," I inform him. "She is getting changed."

"For what? You two having a slumber party?"

"We're going out tonight."

"Going out?" His dark eyes widen as he slides closer to me. "Anywhere fun?"

"Castelul," I reply. I may work there, but I've never been as a customer. Taisley invited Damian, Jessica, and myself to participate in her weekend escapades. My curiosity urged me to accept her offer.

"Well, have fun wasting your time," Zane remarks, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "You'd be better off having that slumber party."

"Why do you hate the Bishops so much?" I ask, rotating my body to face him. "You told me the other day that you're not a Bishop, that you're not a part of this 'psycho' family. Why?"

He looks down at me, his brown eyes staring intently into my emerald ones, and says, "Ask Taisley about the VIP room."

Before I can demand a more detailed explanation, he dashes upstairs, presumably to sulk in his bedroom. Frustrated, I run my fingers through my hair.

Why does this happen to me? Why do I attract the crazies?

Taisley returns to the kitchen, two gowns draped over her arm. It reminds me of the hours I spent in Jessica's bedroom, getting ready for her lavish sixteenth birthday party. I smile at the memory. The evening ended so horribly, but the day wasn't a complete loss.

"I found two dresses. You pick first, and I'll take the one you don't want," Taisley says. "Sound good to you?"

With a nod, I examine my options. One is a strapless, royal blue mini dress that is made of the softest silk I've ever touched. The other is a long-sleeved, crimson gown that has a low neckline and comes down to the knee. The red dress is safer, tamer, more me. The blue one, however, is calling my name.

I select the dress with the least amount of fabric and head to the bathroom to change. It fits like a glove, hugging my body in all of the right places and accentuating the very few curves I have.

When I return to the kitchen, Taisley wolf whistles. "Babe, you look hot as hell!"

"Thank you." I do a three-sixty so she can get the full effect. "Not too skimpy, right?"

"You're stunning. Jose is a total idiot for not calling you back."

"I had almost forgotten about that...."

"Well, forget again!" she exclaims. "We better go. Tonight is going to be great!"

"Tonight is going to be great," I repeat, mostly to convince myself that there's some truth in her words.

There is one bright side to all of this: maybe I'll finally solve the mystery of Castelul's VIP room.

A/N:
Layla and Taisley are feeling themselves tonight! What do you think will happen at Castelul? And what what do you think is in the mysterious VIP room?
Don't forget to vote ⭐️❤️

A/N: Layla and Taisley are feeling themselves tonight! What do you think will happen at Castelul? And what what do you think is in the mysterious VIP room? Don't forget to vote ⭐️❤️