Chapter Five

Harry

Just as we had guessed, the Collins’ were having us over for drinks the next night. A ‘welcome to the neighbourhood’ party, as they’d put it. Ethan had the idea that they were working off of their own agenda, trying to make us their ‘gay friends’ – something nobody else in this neighbourhood had.

I just knew they were looking for a wild night with the puffs across the road – they seemed to be suffocating in the pretentiousness of this neighbourhood. They were a lot cooler than I’d thought – Harvey even made a sexual innuendo, the dirty dog! I’d nearly burst my balls laughing while Ethan had barely contained his eye roll.

I was actually looking forward to the next night – drinking was my forte and I could see us having a lot of fun. I didn’t know why Ethan was so wound up about it!

“You cannot drink too much at this party, Harry. I mean it!” his eyes had the familiar blaze to them saying; don’t mess with me. I loved that look... It gave me the drive to defy him, just to see that look. And I knew he loved it – the back and forth between us was what kept us young! Even though we weren’t even thirty yet... but that’s beside the point. Age and maturity had a habit of creeping up on people – I was staying well, well away.

“Jesus Christ Ethan, you’d swear I was dumb! Of course I won’t drink too much!” he looked relieved – for a moment, “I’ll drink just the right amount to fuck shit up. Am I right?!” I punched his shoulder playfully, causing him to grab my fist and hold it, bringing me closer to him.

He kept his eyes on me for a second before replying, not letting go of my fist. “I don’t find you funny, Harry.”

I paused and evaluated how I was going to reply – the moment was getting pretty intimate. What’s a little sultriness to spice things up?

“Well then how do you find me, baby?” I said in a husky voice, biting my lip and looking at him from under my eyelashes. I was beginning to like my new character – I had decided I was going to make Nate Fox a lot flirtier than the briefing had required. Ethan had to slap my hand off of his ass at least five times during Jennifer and Harvey’s visit – it was freaking hilarious!

His eyes widened for a millisecond before he dropped my fist roughly, putting space between us. I knew I was pissing him off with my joking but I didn’t know how to be serious around him – I couldn’t be. Because then I would have to open up a part of my mind that I never wanted to open.

Jesus, I was getting deep into shit that I didn’t want to think about. I snapped off my thoughts and placed a lazy smile on my face, waiting for what argument he was going to start.

“That’s another thing – you made yourself out to be a sex-deprived pervert in front of the Collins! How does that help our case? We’re trying to gain the trust of respectable people around here!” I knew he was madder than usual because I could see that vein throbbing in his forehead that only appeared when he was seriously pissed.

“Firstly, I have made some changes to Nate’s character, as you may have noticed during the day,” he ran his hands through his hair in frustration, muttering ‘I just fucking said that’ to himself, “Secondly, Jennifer and Harvey are like panthers themselves! They were loving it! Jennifer even squeezed my ass when we hugged goodbye.”

Harvey and Jennifer were twenty year olds stuck in the bodies of fifty-something year olds – when I was messing with Ethan, they nearly fell of their seats with laughter and I could tell that they were thinking that finally, someone exciting was in the neighbourhood. I could tell – I have an eye for people; mostly girls.