Chapter 22 | Why?

"I can't help but think of the phrase "sometimes it is better to be kept in the dark than be blinded by the light.""
-Anna Todd, After

*********

*********

Stepping forward I try to relieve myself from the shock. Standing right before it, I crouch down to pick it up. "Luna!" My head swerves back on its own accord to the voice and I straighten up. One of the assistant designers run to me with some file in her hand. "Luna, you left this back," she says handing it back to me. Crap! I forgot my client file there. "Thanks a bunch," I smile at her warmly. The young girl nods at me with a polite courtesy and takes leave.

Recognizing my primacies, I turn back to the mask just to notice it gone. What the hell? I blink twice in confusion and my eyes roam up and down the corridor. Not a sign of anyone else. My footsteps; a soft echo in my ears. Stealing to the intersection of the corridors, I stop only to hear nothing. No scents in the air.

Who was it?

**

     Shrugging out of my black trench coat, I hang it on the coat rack next to the door.

      I place my phone, keys on the bedside table and turn to take a long bubbly, bath. Such a tiring meeting!

      The bunch of keys falling down the table alerts me. I must've placed them on the brim.

     Shaking my head at my absurdity, I bend to pick them up. My cherry lip balm rolls near it. How did this get here?

      I pick both of them and depositing the keys on the table top, I slide out the top drawer to dump in the balm. The similar shimmer of crimson that met with me earlier that day meets my eyes once again.

       The red mask once again.

      How the hell did this get here?

     Only Rick, I and some maids enter this room. I'm also pretty sure that the maids
wouldn't have dumped a mask into a drawer even if they found something lying around. They would've placed on the top or something.

      Then who else?

      Rick?

      Why?

*********