Chapter 18

~*~

"I didn't know you were dating him," Evan said as soon as we made it upstairs. 

At that moment, strangling my brother seemed like a good idea. My brother knew very well that Jason and I were not dating. While my brother and I had a close relationship, it didn't mean that we were immune to the typical sibling bickering, teasing, and arguments. 

"I'm not," I snapped. "Why would you think that?"

He faked innocence, putting his hands up in mock-defense. "Sorry, I didn't realize it was a sore subject."

"Well, we're not. I was about to take an Uber to come get you and take care of my car later, but he made me go with him," I explained. 

Suddenly, I remembered my car. Jason had insisted on using his friend's towing company and mechanic because they'd give me a 'better deal' than anyone else. Reluctantly, I had agreed. 

I gave Evan a quick tour of my tiny apartment, showing him the couch where he would be sleeping and the closet that he could store his stuff in. While he got settled in, I made the call to the mechanic that had my car. Their website said that they were still open for a few more hours.

A man answered the phone. "Hi, Adam's Auto Repair. How can I help you?"

"Hi, my name's Anna Castle. My car was dropped off there an hour or two ago."

"One moment, please," the man said. He put me on hold for a moment, and some music started playing. A few seconds later, he returned. "It looks like your car was dropped off at your apartment complex thirty minutes ago. Is it not there?"

I frowned. "What do you mean? My apartment complex? It was supposed to be getting repaired."

The man chuckled. "It was just the car battery that needed replaced. It's done, and it was sent back to you."

Never in my life had I heard of a mechanic that brings the car back to your house after it was repaired. I was really, really confused. "How much do I owe you?"

"No need. It looks like someone named Jason Bennett took care of the towing and repair costs," the man replied. "Do you see the car outside? We were instructed to put the key in an envelope in your mailbox."

My blood was boiling, but it wasn't this poor man's fault. The target of my rage was a certain dark-haired billionaire. I peeked outside of my apartment window, and sure enough, my car was sitting there in the parking lot. "It's there. Thank you."

"Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

"No, thank you," I responded. 

Immediately after the call ended, I started scrolling through my phone contacts to find Jason. 

I sent him a text that read: stop paying for my shit

A few minutes later, I got a response from him. It read: I'll take that to mean thank you, so you're welcome lol

I rolled my eyes and replied: I didn't ask for that. How much was it?

He responded: no clue

I sent him an angry emoji, but there was no response to that. 

~*~

The following day, I confronted Jason the moment I got into work.

"Jason, please tell me how much the towing and repair costed. I'm not okay with you paying it."

He looked especially attractive today, or maybe it was just my hormones acting up. His dark hair was a bit messy, and his facial hair was growing out a bit and probably needed a trim. With his strong jawline, it gave him a rugged, manly look. The navy blue suit he was wearing today was tailored to fit him perfectly, emphasizing his muscular frame. How was he so attractive?