Chapter 28: Show On The Road

"Ok, let's get this show on the road," Rodger said as he stepped onto the small charter plane Miles was already in.

Miles glanced over at him and nodded in silence. He pulled out his phone to check it for the fifth time that morning, waiting for Isla to respond to the countless messages he sent her. Still nothing. He didn't like how he ended things last night. In fact, he hated the last 12 hours. He knew he did everything wrong, and he needed to talk to her. He didn't want to lose her and shouldn't have ever left her on that road. What was he thinking?

"Isla still hadn't texted you back?" Rodger asked as he pulled his sunglasses off his round plump face.

Miles shook his head as the plane moved forward, ready for take-off.

"I'm sure she'll get back to you when the time's right," Rodger said half-heartedly.

"There's so much I need to say to her," Miles said as he put his phone on airplane mode, knowing that for the next 10 hours, he would be in the air and could not text her.

"And once we land, you can try again," Rodger said as he looked out the window as the plane took off.

But that wasn't good enough for him. Anger and frustration flared up, forcing him to dig his fingernails into his wrist as he tried to focus on the physical pain instead of his emotional torment.

"Also, before I forget," Rodger said as he tossed a pill bottle towards Miles.

He caught it and looked at the pills in his hands knowing there was a reason he forgot these. He didn't want to depend on these pills when he could manage his symptoms. "Thanks."

"Of course, I want my boy to be at peak performance for the world. All eyes will be on you."

That statement sent shivers down his spine in a terrible way. He didn't want to be reminded of his popularity. When he started music, he didn't do it for fame, he just liked the fact he could create things that he loved. It was an outlet for his emotions. But now, music became something he loved and hated at the same time. Sometimes he wished he was still writing music in his parents' basement where things were simple.

"Buckle in, we are in for a long 10-hour flight to London," Rodger said as he put on his headphones.

This was going to be Miles first world tour, and the nerves had taken over the last few weeks. This marked his talent all over the world. Almost every city would be a sold-out show and he wanted Isla to be by his side to support him through this because he trusted her, only her.

Miles sank into his seat and put on his headphones to drown out his thoughts. He looked at his phone once again with a frown. Still nothing. He didn't want a break with Isla, he never did. But it was clear that she needed her space as well since she didn't text him back.

<><><><>

Warm and comfortable.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Slowly, I pried my eyes open to see blankets wrapped up to my chin. I snuggled into them.

"You're up. How are you?" Mom asked as she walked into the room. "Isla, what happened on that road and why wasn't Miles with you?"

I got out of the safety of Miles car. I was there on the road because of my own choice.

Tristen walked into the room with a yawn. He met my eyes and smiled, almost instantly, he didn't look so tired anymore. "Hey PIB," he said.

I smiled as my heart melted. "Hey."

"Someone had a crazy night," he chuckled, trying to keep it light.

Mom threw him a look. "Tristen."

I forced a laugh as I tried to hold back tears. "You know I was always a partier."

We were silent for a moment until Mom broke it. "So Miles. Where is he? I tried to reach him, but it went straight to voicemail."

And just like that, tears welled in my eyes. The pain of last night hit me all over again like a wave crashing to the shore. I couldn't breathe as I remembered him driving away. He left and I let him. I walked away, but that wasn't what I wanted. It was just the heat of the moment, but now..."He's gone."

"What do you mean?"

"He left Redding. We're over," I cried. My heart felt as if it was getting squeezed all over. We were done and he wouldn't come back.

"Oh Isla," Mom sighed. She cupped my cheek and pulled me closer to her.

"So you are saying he left you on the side of the road?" Tristen asked as his eyes turned dark.

I shook my head. That wasn't the entire story. "No, I left him," I said, defending Miles. He did nothing wrong, but I was the one that got out of the car. I was the one that cut the last string and, just like a snap of my fingers, he slid out of my life like the car did in the night.

Tristen stared at me and for a few moments, we were all too quiet.

"I'm glad you're here," I said to Tristen finally, and reached out to hold his hand.

He laced his fingers with mine. "I was looking for a good excuse to get out of my classes this week."

Mom hit him lightly as she pulled her phone out. "I need to pick up Everly from school. I'll be back," she said and stood up from her seat then left the room.

In silence, Tristen stared at me. I could tell he wanted to ask more questions but was fighting the urge. Finally, he sighed. "Ok, where did your phone go? Mom said it was destroyed, but I feel like there is more to that."

I frowned as I thought about Isaac. "Isaac. He took it and destroyed it." It was his fault.

Tristen swore loudly as he stomped around the room, trying to control his anger. Finally, he stopped and looked at me. "Isla, I swear, I thought nothing would happen when I set you two up."

Honestly, I thought nothing like this would happen either. Isaac fooled all of us though.