chapter 11: doorless

My face was burning as tears began to blur my vision

My face was burning as tears began to blur my vision. I couldn't believe my eyes. I should have known I couldn't trust him.

I ran back towards the door— I didn't want to be in that house for another second. As I ran outside, I made sure to slam the door... I wanted him to know I saw that.

I dialed Kylie's number, hoping she hasn't gone too far away from here.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Hey, Kylie, are you still close by?" I ask, my voice breaking.

"Yeah, what happened?" she inquired. I'm sure she was catching on to my despair.

"Can you get me? I don't want to be here," I say. Tears falling down— I can't hold them in anymore. You can tell from my voice that I'm crying.

"Oh my God, I'm making a u-turn," she frantically said.

It took only about a minute for Kylie to get back since she was going over the speed limit.

Quickly, I ran to her car. I saw the front door of the house open... it was Jackson.

I gave him one last teary-eye-look as I got into the car.

"Scarlet!" I heard him yell, but I signaled to Kylie to drive away.

"What happened?" Kylie asked as she was driving.

I took a deep breath to collect myself, "he was kissing another girl..."

She gasps, "Carly, you don't deserve that."

I don't say anything. There's nothing to say.

When we get back to her house, she gives me a hug, and we walk inside.

"I'll make coffee," she says, walking into the kitchen.

"Thanks," I mumble, following her.

I take a seat at the kitchen table. A few minutes pass, Kylie places a cup of coffee in front of me. Before she can sit down the doorbell rings.

"That must be Damon," she says, walking to the door. I stay at the table.

"Hello Kylie," a familiar voice says. Oh, shit— it's Jackson's voice.

I walk over to the door, making sure to stay out of the frame, so that Jackson can't couldn't see me.

"Hi...?" Kylie says, more like a question.

"Is Scarlet inside?" He asks. He knows!

"Uhm- Yea— no, she's not in here," she stutters, and looks back at me.

"Are you sure?" He asks, "Who were you looking at? I'm sure Damon isn't here yet."

How does he know about Damon?

"You know Damon?" She questions, surprised.

"Of course, now would you welcome me in?" Jackson asks. I can hear the smirk in his voice.

"Y-yeah, I guess," She says, gesturing inside.

Jackson walks in, and I run back to the kitchen. Holy shit! How did he find me?

Kylie comes running back, "How does he know you're here? And how does he know about Damon and I?" She's whisper yelling.

"I don't know," I whisper-yell back, "I'm just as distraught as you are."

"Whisper, whisper, whisper," Jackson says, leaning against the kitchen door.

The both of us turn around— the look on our faces is similar to the one a child would make after being caught stealing cookies.

Jackson walks over to us, "I don't tolerate lying... neither does Damon, Kylie. It would be a shame if Damon pu-" He stops and chuckles, "I bet you can finish that word."

What word? What is he talking about?

"I'd like a word with Scarlet," He says.

"No thanks," I quickly say.

Jackson takes a deep breath, his confidence is slowly draining, "please,"
his voice becomes soft as do his eyes.

How can I say no?

"Fine, two minutes," I say.

He walks a little closer to me. He looks at Kylie, "In private?" Kylie walks away, and we're left alone.

I pick up my coffee cup and wait for him to begin talking.

Jackson takes a deep breath to collect himself, "Don't say anything until I'm done: The girl you saw back there was my... ex. She called me saying she was in trouble, so I went to help her. When I got there I found out she was drunk, so I couldn't just leave her there, I had to bring her home. I didn't kiss her, she kissed me. After you left, I pushed her away, and then I heard the door shut, so I ran after you."

I want to trust him— I really do, "How do I know you're not lying?"

Jackson runs his tongue over his lower lip in frustration. After a few seconds, he speaks, "The CCTV footage."

"What?" I respond.

"My house has CCTV cameras all over the place," he says, happily, "they're connected to my phone."

Jackson takes out his phone, pulls up the footage and shows me. He's not lying.

A breath of relief leaves my mouth. Out of nowhere, I find myself in his arms— he had pulled me in for a hug. Can I just say that he's great at hugs?

"Do you believe me now?" he asks, still holding me.

I look up at him and smile, "yeah."

"Let's go home. We have a lot to discuss," He says.

A lot to discuss?

I say goodbye to Kylie, and we leave.

As Jackson is driving, I decide to ask him, "When you said we had a lot to talk about, what exactly are we talking about?"

"The contract. I figured it'll be easier if I explain it to you," He says, not taking his eyes off the road.

Oh, God. We're talking about it face-to-face. That'll be awkward as hell.
———————————————

this chapter is a little shorter. sorry :(

but the next chapter is gonna be— well read it and find out

-scarlet <3