Chapter 35 (For real)

I can't believe many of you didn't realize and fell for it. xD Happy April Fools Day. And to be honest, except for a few past comments, I haven't gotten any hate. It's been an overwhelmingly positive response. I love you guys so much. Sorry to mess with you. 😉😘

Happy Reading! ❤️

The Pits were burning.

And it wasn't Aelin's fault, for once. She wondered if Arrobyn knew that. She wished he did.

Normally she got almost a euphoric high from pissing off her master. But now, standing in front of the large underground cavern, clogged with smoke and ash burning their throats and eyes, she felt pity. People ran helter-skelter, trying to get water, fire extinguisher, sand, anything, anything to stop the raging fire. She looked at Aedion beside her, both of them scanning the room to see if there was anyone injured. Both ambulance and fire brigade were called and they were on their way. But Aelin didn't think anything would be left to save till they came. She felt downright pity for the people forgotten by the society, who made a living by fighting here, to put some food in their bodies or to support their families. She even felt pity for those who bet on fighters or the investors of this place. But the worst of all was the pity she felt for her master. She hated it.

Arobynn wasn't even doing anything to stop the fire or chaos. He just stood there, arms crossed, noting each and every feature of the establishment and committing it to memory. Like he was going to build this thing from scratch again. And again. And again. Perhaps on the ashes and bones of those who did this. His body was taut, tongue pressing the inside of his cheek. He didn't move when the fire brigade came, he didn't say anything when the ambulance nurse informed him that there was no one seriously injured as the place opened in the evening, there weren't many people inside. He didn't even reply when one of the firemen, after dousing each and every ember there, came up to them to ask some questions and report the approximate, monstrous loss.

Aedion and Aelin took care of it, till they were the only 3 people left there, when one of the managers of Pits limped to them. Aelin's eyes darted to his legs immediately but he just had bare scratches on his leg, band aid put over the biggest one.

"Sir," he whimpered. She saw Aedion roll his eyes beside her, echoing her emotions.

Arobynn didn't turn, back facing them, muscles tight.

"I don't know how it happened-"

"What happened?" Arobynn finally spoke, his voice heavy, sharp and gravelly.

"They spread petrol in some places and sparked the meter into overload-"

"I already got the firemen's report. What happened?" Arobynn's words were smooth, as he finally moved, folding the sleeves of his shirt above his elbows.

"I don't know. Cameras were broken. When I came back, the place was already on fire." He gestured frantically, trying to convey that he was innocent. He whimpered again for good measure. That's it, he was dead. There was no sympathy here. It was business, war or death.

"Where were you?" Arobynn's voice dropped an octave, the manager's eyes widened, realizing what he had said.

"I had gone out to pick up a call. No-no network here ." Arobynn snapped.

"I don't leave you morons here and pay you all for this! Someone destroyed this in broad daylight." He turned, too swift for his age and pinned the manager to the wall.

"They we-were already in-inside. I wanted to show you some new fighters I found. But they did this and left." The manager choked out with ARobynn's fingers wrapped around his neck.