Chapter Two

The young man, inside his castle at last, brushed some of the dried mud off his shirt and onto the stone floor. He stomped his way into the bathroom, maids sweeping the moss from his shoes behind him. He slammed the door after he entered and, the maids, sensing a strange emotion in his heart, scurried off. Staring in the tinted mirror opposite his tinted window, he thought again of the young woman in the forest. She was so free and careless. He almost felt jealous, almost. Quickly he bathed the thoughts of her impurity from his mind, and as he dried off, he slicked back hair which had been completely in his face, in a puffy, tangled mess. He wore his second favorite coat as he went down in anticipation to meet the rest of his party, as they were soon to arrive.

     "Sir," the footman addressed him again, "your mother, sister, and friends will be here soon. A telegram just came before them to tell you of your grandfather's illness, and one of your friends will be detained, a certain Miss Charlotte. Should we prepare a room for her now, or wait?"

     "Do what you think is best," the man's voice boomed through the hallways. Giggles from some of the maids echoed down the corridor and reached the man's ears. "And why am I a subject of folly this morning?"

     "You came in soaking wet, sir, with a gaze about you that some fine treasure had caught your eye."

     "There was no fine treasure, I was hunting in the woods. Which were empty. Make that known."

     "Of course," the footman bowed and wandered off.

     The man wandered his way into a sitting room, unable to decide whether he should sit or stand. He made his way in this manner all the way around the room before a book in the corner caught his eye, and he decided to sit by the window to better see its words.

     Not twenty minutes had passed, when a chatter of muffled voices entered the silent house. They grew in volume, and the man crouched away closer to the window, his collar feeling tighter around his neck. He gulped.

     The door bust open and entered three very fashionable women and one very handsome man.

     "Darius, my dear, it is so nice to see you again after all this time. Why, you are looking very fine today," the man's mother gushed over him.

     "Say, brother did you do something to your hair; you look absolutely medieval," the youngest said, a sparkle in her eye.

     "Mother, sister, it is nice to have you at Gemway Manor once again," the man said, disdain almost entering his speech.

     The sister, unaffected, rolled her eyes and squeezed  her dear brother in a humongous hug. Her brother only choked. The mother wiped away a small tear and cried that her son was so grand a man that he no longer needed her. The third lady of the party, sulked in behind them and said in a soft, sweet voice, "I know a telegram was sent saying I would be detained, but my business in the North ended rather suddenly, so I was able to make it sooner. I hope this won't be a problem."

     "Any friend of Gisabelle's is welcomed at any time in my manor. It is no problem," the man said, a softness entering his voice.

     "Come now, I am more than an acquaintance brought by your sister. I'd like to think we were friends as well," the very regal looking lady chuckled.

     "Of course Miss Charlotte, welcome. Though I will have to check if your room is ready. Excuse me."

     "Now Darius, that is no way to greet your dearest friend,"  the handsome man entreated him as he passed by.

     "William, my apologies. How are you? How is business treating you?" Darius said, almost cordially and in a very distracted manner.

     "I can see you don't care at present. Be on your way, and I'll tell you over supper."

     "Alright then. I wish you all would settle. I am off to check on the making up of Miss Charlotte's room."