25. real life sucks

Dad,
The weather here is awesome, like you said. It's not too hot or cold. Lucy is loving the light evenings and the accents - we really did choose the right time of year to come to London. I'm not sure I like the subways, though, they're too crowded.
What's everyone up to? I heard Ness pushed the wedding again - Alice sent me a rant in her last email. Do I need to talk to her?
I know it's hard, but you really did make the right decision letting me go even if she still holds it against you after 5 years. I suppose she is technically like 8 years old but still she's smarter than me and even you.
I gotta go, Lucy wants to go to hunt down some candy.
All my love
A

Arthur signs the letter off with a smiley face as usual, folding it and licking the envelope. "What did you tell him this week?"

Arthur looks over at Parker, the nurse disconnecting the iv. "We're in London this week - thanks for the stories by the way, I can write those down."

Parker rolls his eyes. "Your dad would wanna know."

"Know his son is dying of cancer? Cancer that is currently kicking his ass? No, he wouldnt." He shakes his head.

Parker sighs. "20 minutes, then you can go."

"Yes yes, thank you!" He calls.

Lucy comes in a moment later. "Hey baby."

"Hi sexy." He smirks.

She sits on the stool opposite him. "How you feeling..."

"I'm fine aren't I always?" He kisses her gently. "Ready to go?"

"It hasn't been 20 minutes!" Parker calls.

"Im not going to pass out, have I at all in the last 10 months?" He smirks as he grabs his bag and the letter.

Lucy takes his hand and they take a slow walk back to the parking lot, silent as always. She hates this part, the part where hes totally fine for now then he'll crash and be so unwell for hours after. But she'll be there as always.

Arthur was diagnosed 11 months ago. He began feeling unwell, but he put it off assuming it was the fact he'd spent the last 4 years of his life traveling non stop. But it wasnt that. Low and behold, a glioblastoma was tucked neatly against his brain and brain stem - the two most important parts of living. He's been fighting, so hard, but they both know there isn't much left to give. They can't operate, so intense chemo twice a week and radiation once a week is all they can do, all they can pin their hope on.

Well, they could just talk to his family and have him changed into a vampire but no no, Arthur Masen does not take the easy way out. It makes Luc so mad - they just got each other and now she's going to lose him? She doesn't want to, as selfish as it sounds. He is hers and she is his, it isn't going to change.

As they sit in the diner like they always do after treatment, Lucy barely touches her food. Arthur frowns. "Babe, what's wrong?"

Lucy scoffs bitterly. "I dunno, my husbands dying and won't go see the only people who could save him. What about you?"

He sighs and pushes his plate away. "That doesn't solve anything-"

"Why! I've already told you, I would happily die for you! My liver, have it. A kidney, go for it. I'd give you my fucking brain if I could." She snaps. "But nothing human is going to save you! I know you think you're protecting them but you aren't. You will hurt them more by never telling them than if you tell them and let them help!"