| CH. 22

Pain fueled my rage. My remorse and guilt fell onto the Earth, crumbling under hard steps as I faced Star and started in her direction. Nathan stepped away, fearing the glow of my angry eyes.

Star didn't move, only looking at me.

"I accepted a while back that this would happen," she said as she closed her eyes. "That's why they sent Ron because I'd given up on my task. I couldn't bring you in, because I couldn't let you see her that way."

"You mean it's happened already," I hissed as I grabbed her neck in a loose grip. "They've touched her?"

Star took in a breath as my fingers found the tender spots beneath both ears. "I'm sure it's more now than it was then."

I squeezed. "Are you happy? You see my pain. Is this what you wanted?"

"Lamont," Nathan's voice was quiet as he touched my shoulder.

Star shook her head. "No," she gasped, touching my hand. "I wanted to keep you away from it."

I squeezed tighter, and her eyes opened. She didn't fight me, didn't claw at my skin. Nathan stepped away as he grabbed Rosie's hand in his. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the light that faded in Star's eyes.

"If you'd asked me yesterday if I cared about you—" she barely formed the words as I stopped myself from breaking her neck. "—I would've said yes, I did. I do."

"I'll kill you."

"That's fine." Star squeezed her eyes shut. "I did what's right. She's there, right in there—" her finger pointed weakly in the direction across the lake. "—everyone is waiting for you."

I pulled her body against mine by her waist. My thumb pressed against the spot beneath her ear and she cried out in a strangled gasp. The fingers of my other hand clasped against the petite bones of her ribcage. With one push, I heard them snap.

Her eyes opened to look at me, but the light and color were gone. Quiet breaths left her in pants, and I took pleasure in feeling her life fade in my hands. It was in my muscles, in my soul; watching death glaze over her eyes reminded me of the days I felt so alive.

"Scarlet." My fingers pushed through the skin under her shirt. The fresh blood spilled on my hand, causing cotton to stick to my fingers. Growling, I pulled her face so close to mine, her dying breaths hit my lips. I sucked them in, and my eyes came alive. "Say hello to Ethan for me," I whispered as I pressed my thumb further into her neck.

I wanted to hear the pop of the bone. I wanted to feel her heart's last breath. Instead, I heard Rosie's frantic scream as Nathan pulled her into the water. The sound blended with that of the second bang that filled the night; a gunshot nearly missed my face.

"Monty!" Rosie cried, water splashing around her.

Star's blood splattered across my cheeks as a bullet broke through her temple, taking the life I wanted to absorb. She went limp in my hands, yet I didn't drop her. I looked at her face. Her eyes were black, her limbs limp. My hand still held her neck.

"Sucks," a deep voice said near the other end of the tries, "I liked her."

I turned my gaze to meet Ron's. The wounds on his neck had started to heal, and his breaths were cool and collected. In his hand, he held Rosie's gun, and I wanted to kill Nathan for leaving it behind.

The gun lifted, pointed right at my face. "Really sucks, because I liked you, too."

My heartbeat echoed in my eyes. It blended with the quiet sound of distant screams; a burning that inched up my back. I felt my body tremble with rage as I dropped Star's body and turned to face the barrel of the gun.

With three long steps, I moved in front of it and pressed my forehead against the cold metal. "Why, I'm inclined to agree," I sharply inhaled the night air. "I liked you both."

He laughed as his eyes turned bright yellow, and mine turned blue. I wiped warm blood from my face, licking the bit that stained my lips.

He found that amusing, "You like that, too, huh? Taste fucking great."

"Oh, no," I smirked as I forced the gun back with my face alone. Ron shifted his step. "It isn't the blood I like, but the death, the smell of it. Sticks to your skin and seeps into your soul, absorbing the blood from the innocent."

Ron smiled nervously as he pushed the gun, his poor attempt to get me to move back. Shaking my head, I raised my hand to grip the barrel of the handgun. Metal cracked beneath my fingers. In my ears, the screams grew louder. "Did you know? About Charlotte? Did everyone know?"

His hand shook, glancing behind me at Nathan and Rosie, but I shook my head. "Look at me when I ask you a question."

"Man, I'm not answering shit," he said as he readied to fire the weapon. "I could just fucking shoot you now."

"No, Ron," I twisted the gun away from my face. His face pulled back with anger, but it was nothing compared to how I felt. "You can't. Abby would kill you, wouldn't she? She'd hand you your nuts in a bag before she skinned you alive, am I right?"

He flinched. With his expression alone, I knew his thoughts, 'how did you know?'

I thought back, even if he couldn't read my mind, 'I simply do.'

I lunged at him without thinking. My shoulder collided with his chest, and I knocked the air from his lungs. He huffed in pain as he hit the dirt between the trees, and my hand went for his neck, just as I'd done in the kitchen. This time, he didn't aim for her eyes. He hit my arms and my face, snarling as he looked at me. I didn't flinch, I didn't move, I held my grip firm.

"You think this is a game?" he hissed as he kicked his legs up against my chest, knocking me forward. She'll fucking destroy you."

"Afraid not, Ron. I'm not up for games," I rolled in the dirt and popped my neck, "I'll destroy you, and her, before either of you have the chance."

"Sucks," Ron scooped down near his feet, "'cause Ronny really likes to play."

I caught the glint of the barrel in the moonlight. Ron's aim was shaky but pointed at my head. I had two options—either duck and dodge the bullet or run at him head-on. I voted for the attack and planned it thoroughly in my head.

I'd push him down to the ground, probably taking a graze to the cheek from a misfired bullet, and I'd crush his skull in with my fists. Then, I'd drink his final breaths as though they were my trusted whiskey, and while drunk on the fumes, I'd barge into those manors and claim back what was mine.

Charlotte.

But it couldn't happen that way, no.

The very second I stepped forward I heard Nathan scream, "No!"

That was followed by Rosie's cry and the sound of her quick feet. I saw her hand try to push at the gun, only to miss. Her face was centimeters away from it, and I heard the bullet ready itself.

My plan changed. I pulled Rosie down by her shoulders as the gun fired. I felt the burn that entered my chest. Pain exploded as the bullet not only entered me but broke right through the other side. Nathan rushed out of the water but stopped inches from me as Ron raised the gun at him.

I fell forward, my face on Rosie's knees. Above me, I heard Ron curse under his breath. "You, don't let him die."

Blood filled my mouth and dripped out the corner of my lips. The air around me was cold, slipping into the gun wound. Rosie's hands touched my face as I faded into darkness.

"Dad," her tears hit my cheek, "please."