Chapter 18 - The poison

Færn and Taghna reached the village in the middle of the afternoon. As soon as they had passed the last séarach of the clearing, Roséan and Vorn came to meet them. Færn was seeing his néach for the first time since he had bathed in the sacred water. Having successfully passed the stroïgil, he was now considered an adult. He greeted his néach with respect but on an equal footing.

Roséan and Vorn sent him back his salutation. The man noticed the horn that Færn had brought back but made no comment. He then turned his attention to Taghna whose bear claw was invisible in her closed hand. His face became sterner:

- And you, Taghna, where's your hunting trophy?

Taghna, dark and concerned since the succession of tragic events, showed no sign of no sign of noticing the presence of the two adults. As she did not answer his question, Roséan pressed her more insistently.

- So, you didn't make it through?

The authoritarian tone forced Taghna out of her thoughts. Færn had never seen the hunter behave in such a sudden way. Roséan had always been a faithful and caring, yet silent, member of the village. His reassuring presence was reinforced by the intimacy of his relationship with the séalyar.

The intonation he had put in his question was sharp and suspicious. Taghna, on the other hand, interpreted it as further proof that the adults in the village were angry with her for having absorbed all the uisgaïr. She still felt Séabanh's hand holding her head underwater during the stroïgil.

Roséan repeated his question even more abruptly. Færn then noticed the anxiety in the village. Whether it was Roséan or Vorn, or Séacas approaching in the distance, the adults were worried. They were not involved in a good-natured activity. On the contrary, a kind of lethargy permeated their actions. Færn , who had expected a moment of celebration, saw only fear and suspicions.

Séacas joined them with his lame walk. He wanted to know what the first finishers had to say. In turn, he asked Taghna for proof of her capture, but Roséan silenced him with a black look and Séacas looked down.

Taghna remained silent so Færn came to her aid:

- Roséan, you're wrong. She killed a bear. I saw her do it, right in front of me. Taghna, show them the claw.

Taghna did as was asked. Séacas and Roséan looked at each other with a heavy look of innuendo that Færn could not help but notice. He was surprised by this. What was the reason for this strange connection that the two adults had just revealed? Caïséan's suspicion came back to him. Their friend was sure that the two adults shared a secret.

Færn could not find a valid reason for such a mystery and Vorn interrupted his reflection:

- Taghna, forgive Roséan for his attitude. These last few days have not been easy for us. Rissar's been in bed since you left. Maoïr and Séabanh have gone to find something to help her get better, but we are all worried.

Upon hearing these words, Taghna once again plunged into dark thoughts. A person dear to her suffered as a result of her actions. No doubt Rissar had fallen ill after Taghna left the mataïg so quickly to go in search of Færn. The young woman wanted to go to the dean's house but Roséan blocked her.

- No, she needs to rest. There's been enough misfortune as it is.

- Roséan... said Vorn.

- We have to wait for the end of the stroïgil, he continued without paying attention to Vorn. The deans will be able to guide us.

Taghna would have wanted to protest, but the heart was not in it. She simply nodded.

- Færn, take me where you left your prey, said Vorn. I'll ask Mariach to come with us.