#7: Photograph

Synopsis: #7: It may have seemed unnecessary, but for Sasuke, it was important. 

• • •

After buying food at a nearby restaurant, a man in a black coat seated himself on a table by the open entrance, laying his dish in front of him. It was a sunny day with the occasional cool wind passing by, and people were chattering normally in the surroundings. All in all, it seemed to be another one of those peaceful days.

However, just when he placed his bag next to him, a running figure immediately snatched it away, quickly disappearing into a corner. A few people gasped at the display.

The man, however, merely stared at the direction where the figure ran off to.

• • •

"Heh, that was easy," Yamazaki said to himself proudly as he came to a stop behind a local tea shop and sat on the grass. "He couldn't even touch me!"

Eagerly, he instantly rummaged the contents of the bag.

"Ah, here it is!" he exclaimed, fishing out a small wallet. "Now to see how much is in it..."

"I would appreciate it if you give that back to me," a deep voice interrupted him.

"?!" Yamazaki jolted in shock, staggering backwards. "Wh—Wh—Wha—!? How did you get here so fast?! I never even heard your footsteps!"

The man only looked at him. "I have my ways," he said simply.

Yamazaki stared at him. "Are you a ninja?"

"That is none of your concern," said the man promptly. "Now will you hand it over, or will you run away again?"

Yamazaki gritted his teeth. "Tch! All right, here's your stupid wallet back!" He hurled the said object at the man, who deftly caught it with his hand. Yamazaki's mood darkened slightly. He had been so closeto finding money to buy food for his poor family! And this guy just had to ruin it for him!

As if reading his thoughts, the man threw a plastic bag with bread inside at him. Startled, Yamazaki caught it in his hands.

"..." Yamazaki could only stare at him in astonishment.

The man opened his wallet and showed it to him. It was empty.

"What... You have no money in there?" Yamazaki exclaimed. "Then why the hell did you chase after me if you have nothing in there?"

"I only came back for these."

Yamazaki stared as the man held up two photographs in his hand. One was of a seemingly younger him and three other people he didn't recognize.

The other was of a woman who looked like the older version of the lone girl in the first photo. She was grinning at the camera with a pretty blush on her cheeks.

In her arms was a sleeping baby.

"Uh..." Yamazaki said tentatively, suddenly feeling a bit embarrassed at being shown such a personal photograph. "Is she your wife?"

The man's expression didn't change much from his usual calm expression, but there was a distinct softness in his eyes that was evident from a closer look.

"...Yeah," he responded. His tone was almost gentle. "I suppose you understand now why I chased after you."

• • •

It may have seemed unnecessary, but for Sasuke, it was important.

Seeing these two photos reminded him of the people who would always wait for him to come back home, after all.

fin