Chapter 2

song to play
Animals — Maroon 5

song to playAnimals — Maroon 5

AURORA

I look at my blurry reflection at the tinted window on Roni's car. My outfit was composed of a tight, black, knitted off-shoulder dress that ended a little above mid-thigh and my black platform lace-up boots. Red lipstick was lathered on my lips that made it look extra plum and I went the extra mile and curled my long brown hair tonight.

Tonight is the night I forget about Quinn Anderson. I chanted in my head as I stepped inside Evan's house with Veronica's arm linked with mine. "Do not do anything stupid, Aurora Wilson." She warns me.

"I can handle myself, Roni. Don't worry." I assure her before we open the door and greeted by Maroon 5's Animals, blasting loudly. The place was crowded by mostly people who attended our school. Some came from neighbouring ones.

"Ladies," Evan comes up to us, holding two solo cups, handing one to each of us. "I wasn't expecting you to come."

"Should I drink this?" I whisper to Veronica.

"Yeah, he's trustworthy." He whispered back and we both took large gulps. Beer.

I squint at the burning sensation that I felt in my throat. "Go inside, have fun. I'm just making sure no assholes get in." He winks at us and gestures us to come in.

I nose scrunches at the sight of couples practically dry humping each other on the dance floor. Others were just in the corner, making out. "Fucking ew."

"Baby!" A figure comes swooping in a gives Veronica a kiss on the lips. "I thought you weren't coming."

"Rory changed her mind." She gestured at me and I give the guy a high five.

Zachary Mason and Roni had been dating since freshman year. He's part of the football team and they fell in love when they caught each other's eye during his first game. They've been madly in love ever since. This kickstarted a friendship between Zac and I as well.

"Wanna dance, babe?" Zac asks his girlfriend.

"I gotta stay with Ro—"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, Roni." I warn her. "Go and enjoy yourself. I'll just pottering around." Without even waiting for her answer, I walk off to the bar counter and get another cold bottled beer, discarding my red solo cup in the bin.

I take a swig after another and soon, the burning sensation was no long irritable. It was starting to get pleasant. I also felt quite tipsy but I completely ignored it and continued drinking.

"When the fuck will you notice me?!" A cry catches my attention. I hop off my stool and walk off to where it came from. I lean against the doorway of the kitchen and watch the exchange with my nth beer bottle of the night. "I've given you cards, chocolates, countless of gifts—"

"That I gave back to you because I don't fucking like you, Maddison!" Oh, that would've hurt.

Wait, Maddison? As in Maddison Bentley? The head cheerleader?

"And why not, Archer? I'm beautiful, I'm hot, I'm rich, I'm not a damn prude! I can give you what you want." She starts rubbing circles on his chest.

Archer West? Zac's best friend?

"Stop it." He scolds, swatting her hand away. "I don't like you and I never will. Get that through your thick skull."

Maddison starts sobbing as she runs out of the kitchen. Archer rubs his temples, looking as distressed as ever. His brown mop of hair was a mess but he still look attractive. He did have chiseled facial features and a toned, tall figure to match it.

He must've noticed my presence because he turns to his side to face me. "I'm guessing you witnessed that?"

I nodded my head, taking a gulp of beer. "It was horrid."

"You're blackout drunk."

"And you're an arsehole." I say, not even minding the signals going off in my head.

"What did you just say?" He raises and eyebrow, as if to challenge me to say it again.

"How could you scream at a girl?" I told him off. "You could've kindly rejected her."

"First, you don't know shit about what happened and second, kind rejection isn't Maddison's thing." He rolls his deep green eyes, his biggest asset, by the way.

"You know," I point my index finger at him, emphasizing my point. "You are such a handsome guy and I would've been totally attracted to you if you weren't so damn ignorant to everyone's feelings."

"Rory! Holy shit!" Veronica shouts from behind me, puts an arm around me and pulls me back. "Let's take you home, okay?"

"Man, what happened?" Zac asks Archer who kept his eyes trained on me.

Archer releases a huff and shook his head. "Just take her home. She's drunk out of her mind."

Roni starts pulling me with her but I fight out of her grasp, stomping my way up to Archer and slapping him right across the face. Roni gasps, putting her hand on her mouth in shock. "You're all heartless arsehats! You're just like him!"

"Just like who?" He crosses his arm on his chest, not even looking the least bit shaken up. "Like your bastard of an ex-boyfriend?"

"Exactly like him!" I yell and just as I was about to lunge at him, my knees go weak and all I see is darkness.