Chapter 24 - The familiar eyes

Mila's POV

Suddenly, the door opened. Lucas and our parents walked in.

"Aww. How cute he is." My mother commented in awe as they approached us.

"Hey, little man." Lucas said softly and placed a soft kiss on Joshua's forehead.

"Can I hold him?" My mother asked without taking her eyes off Joshua for a second.

"Of course." I replied softly and gave my son to her.

She held him in her arms carefully and stroked his cheek affectionately.

"Hey, Joshua." She whispered softly and placed a soft kiss on his forehead.

My father was stroking Joshua's head gently while looking at him.

"I am sorry, Lucas, but this little one looks nothing like you." My father commented mischievously.

"He looks like you, Mila." My mother added, giving me a knowing look.

I bit my lower lip nervously and averted my gaze.

****

After breastfeeding my son, I placed Joshua into his crib. I stroked his hair, smiling. As the time had passed, he looked like Tristan more. I sighed sadly and pulled the blanket over his body. Then I left his nursery room.

Today my parents invited us for dinner. After getting Joshua ready, we left.

As soon as we walked into the mansion, my father took Joshua in his arms. Then my mother took him in her arms.

I was rocking Joshua smoothly while pacing back and forth in the living room for more than thirty minutes. Meanwhile, Joshua was staring at me while making noises, wide awake.

"My boy, why don't you fall asleep?" I cooed him, still rocking him.

"Give him to me and rest. You must be tired." Lucas suggested as he approached me.

I nodded. I really felt tired. I gave him Joshua carefully. As soon as Lucas took him in his arms, Joshua's lower lip quivered, and he started crying.

"Here we go again. Why does he always cry in my arms?" Lucas pouted sadly.

"Ok, give him back to me." I said softly and took Joshua in my arms.

As soon as I took him in my arms, he stopped crying and grabbed my shirt. I smiled at his reaction and placed a soft kiss on his cheek.

Today we were attending a charity gala. After getting ready, Lucas and I left. Our parents were attending the gala as well. So Joshua stayed with his babysitter, Lola.

After leaving the restroom, I called Lola asking how Joshua was. She told me he was sleeping now.

I went back towards the ballroom while placing my phone back into my clutch. Suddenly, I bumped into a hard surface.

"Sorry." He said huskily without looking at me, tapping something on his phone.

When I looked at him, my eyes widened in surprise.

Tristan.

My heart started pounding in my chest. I was staring at him, frozen. He looked so handsome in his black tuxedo. He had a beard which suited him perfectly.

It had been more than seven months that I didn't see him. I missed him so much. My heart was biting faster like I ran a marathon.

He placed his phone into his pocket and lifted his head up. He looked at me with wide eyes, his mouth agape.

"Mila..." He mumbled huskily, plunging his dazzling eyes into mine.

"Hi." I murmured nervously.

"Hi." He said without taking his eyes off me for a second.

We were looking into each other's eyes without saying anything, standing like we froze.

"Mila?" Lucas interrupted our bubble as he called me behind Tristan while walking towards me.

"Yes?" I murmured, still looking at Tristan.

Lucas approached us and placed his hand on my lower back, giving me a smile. I forced a smile.

Tristan gritted his teeth as his muscles tensed up while looking at us. Sadness crossed his features. Then he walked away in quick steps. I watched his leave sadly.

Tristan's POV

I was sipping my whiskey while staring at Mila. She looked more beautiful. A real angel.

After these months I thought I forgot her, but seeing her again made me understand that I was totally wrong. I missed her so much.

Ugh! Why do I still feel this way? She is my half-sister. A sister.

I want to kiss her inviting soft lips, feel her warmth against my body. Fuck!

Get a grip, Tristan! It is wrong. So wrong. You know it.

Suddenly, she looked at me, letting our eyes meet, making me lost in her beautiful eyes. I clenched my fist and averted my gaze.

When I looked at her back, she was talking to her father. I gritted my teeth. I loathed this man. He ruined my life.

He gave her a warm smile and hugged her, stroking her hair. Then he pulled back, looking at her affectionately.

I looked at them sadly. If even I didn't know how close they were, after seeing them together everyone could notice the bond between two of them.

If you were a caring parent and good man as Mila has told, why did you leave my mother and me?

I averted my gaze and drank all my whiskey in a sip.

"Tristan, stop drinking!" Cody exclaimed, giving me a disapproval look.

"I am fine. Don't worry." I mumbled and grabbed a glass of whiskey when the waiter passed beside me.

"Tristan!" Cody warned me.

I ignored his warning and drank all my whiskey in a sip. I put the glass down on the table.

"I am going." I informed Cody.

I didn't want to stay here anymore. Neither I wanted to watch Mila with her lovely husband, nor I wanted to see Daniel Parker.

I tapped Cody's shoulder as I said. "See you."

"See you." He nodded. "Be careful." He added, giving me a concerned look. I nodded, giving him a half smile.

I was walking towards the exit, lost in my thoughts. Suddenly, I bumped into someone.

"Sorry." He said.

When I lifted my head up and looked at him, my eyes widened in shock. He gave me a surprised look.

I gritted my teeth with rage. I gave him a disgusted look and left, bumping into his shoulder roughly.