02- What the F is String Theory!?

My first few weeks at school Aurora was everyone's favorite pastime

My first few weeks at school Aurora was everyone's favorite pastime. She was a high school soap that all the students were obsessively tuned into. There wasn't a day she didn't make an appearance on The Dirty. The post ranged from conversations she'd said, her Instagram photos, to more scandalous photos of her flirting with a rival school's football player. There were photos of her playing soccer, lifeguarding, or reading a freakin' book. Eventually, I gave in to the madness. I couldn't help it. When in Rome does as the Romans do.

The Dirty was Kris and Katie's favorite, and I'd grown close to them. Because of the new school, I had time to hang out with my new friends. We ate out together, went to the movies and the mall. People couldn't say one of our names without the other two. That's inaccurate, they said Kris and Katie's names, they called me Kris and Katie's friend.

They had this whole soulmate-best-friends-forever type deal. I was happy to feel included, even as the third wheel. One of Katie's and Kris's favorite topics to talk about was James—when her boyfriend wasn't around of course.

They were always scheming on ways to get his attention. I couldn't help but get a caught up in their scheming and I started to vie for this attention as well. We'd do things like "accidentally" bump into him the halls. Or maneuver him as class partners or try to sit next to him at school assemblies. We even went to his games and made posters.

As a result of Katie's major crush on him, I would have to listen to Katie rant on her dislike for Aurora, the roadblock in her path to James. I didn't join in on these hate rants. It wasn't my style, but listening is like a slow killing poison. It turns your opinion towards someone toxic. You don't realize it's happening until it's too late.

I didn't hate Aurora, but I didn't like her either. I believed most, if not all the rumors about her. And I began to idealize her like the rest of the school. It wasn't until I met her that everything changed.

The second semester of my junior year is already two weeks in. I'm sitting alone at a black-topped science table in the far back of my AP Physics I class. I'm trying to look as inconspicuous as possible, which isn't hard for me to do.

I'm silently praying the teacher won't call on me or ask me a question. Science isn't my subject and always took extra effort. I'm barely passing by with a B and my grades were dangerously dropping close to a C. You might be thinking sarcastically OMG a C, but my grades are my everything. I couldn't get an academic scholarship with a C. Getting a C meant no college and the end of my world.

I attempt to be as invisible as possible, I slump in my seat and try not to make any fast movements. The door opens behind me. Mr. Smith, my physics teacher, announces a class transfer student. I don't look up to see who it is. It's odd for someone to transfer mid-semester into an AP class. How would they be able to keep up? I'm still not curious enough to look, I'm still pretending to be invisible.