Chapter 37

Avery Adley

I didn't see Oliver for over a week.
I wasn't trying to run into him either. We were both avoiding each other.
I would still cook for him, but it was just left uneaten.

I was too afraid to see him.

I'm such a selfish coward.

Maybe if I had talked to him, he could have helped me. Maybe he could have helped me escape my probable death.

That anger. It wasn't like Mr. Adley. His eyes were as cold as ice. His voice held no emotion. His face was indecipherable. The only emotion I could decipher that wasn't anger, was disgust.

I ignored the pressure building behind my eyes.

Mr. Adley had told me to make copies of reports and statements. These were all for his confidential files.
If anything were to happen to them, I would receive a beating of a lifetime.

Among the lot I found Wilson & Co's statement.
They had transferred over 4 million to... Mr. Adley's personal account?

Don't tell me this is like hush money.

I had seen evidence of embezzlement and blackmail. I know he has never received an amount this high in one go.

I sighed and continued making copies of everything.
I placed all the necessary documents on his desk.

I made myself a coffee and began checking emails and writing reports as well as updating Mr. Adley's schedule.

It was approaching 5pm when I was called into Mr. Adley's office.

"Yes sir?" He threw a magazine at my face. I caught it before it fell to the floor.

I looked at the front cover and saw a various pictures of Leah on the cover. She was taking drugs, drinking excessively and making out with various men. In the corner was a picture of me and Oliver sitting closely together on the park bench.

"What the fuck is this?!" He roared. "Did you know about this?!"

"No sir, of course not." I frowned.

"Fix it!" He yelled.

"Yes sir." I turned on my heel and went  back to my desk.

I worked for hours and could only get a few more respectable publications to stop printing and retract the story.

I rang the lawyers and they had said there wasn't much they could do considering the images basically spoke for themselves. 

I rested my head on the desk before I got the shock of my life.

Adley burst through the door looking at me murderously.

"I-I'm sorry sir!" I cowered back as he took slow steps in. "I can't get the story down!" I cried. Tears leaked from my eyes and ran down my face.

He paused in mid step.
"You what?!" He raged. The look in his eyes alone made me tremble. "I bet you wanted this!"

"No no!" I shook my head frantically.

He smirked. "I have someone here for you."

My heart leaped in to my throat.
Mr. Adley lunged forward and pulled my over my desk by my arm. I yelped as the computer and files fell to the floor.