Chapter 30

The silence accompanying Cameron's question caused alarm bells to blare in Sharon's mind. She had been plating the brownies-regretfully cutting a smaller piece for herself-when she heard the query. Amelia and Scott were busy clearing the table while Cameron helped her scoop out the ice cream. It was decadent but he had only given her a resigned look.

Now, she left Cameron to bring out the dessert and confronted Amelia. Her dear sister had a decidedly guilty and undecided expression. She just looked on in silence. Unlike her, Amelia couldn't withstand the silence treatment for long. Especially under such scrutiny.

Her eyes shot to Sharon a few times and looked away just as fast. She looked down and avoided looking at Sharon when Cameron served brownies and coffee. The men were conversing as if not noticing the tension between the women. Through it all, Sharon trained her eyes on Amelia.

'You know, while it's hot to see you assert your dominance over your sister, can you please tell me why?'Cameron asked during a lull in their conversation. The men were not as oblivious to the tension as she had assumed. Startled by the innuendo in his question, her head whipped around to look at him. He was grinning unrepentantly. She wanted to laugh but arranged her face to look stern. His grin grew. 'Not going to work, babe. So what's going on?'

'Amelia is acting suspicious. She's uncharacteristically silent after chattering the entire night. Especially after your question.'

'I have not been chattering the entire night,'Amelia interjected. Sharon just raised her eyebrow and she looked mulishly at her. It was amusing and weird to have her sophisticated elder sister acting soo childishly. 'I was just trying to think of a way to tell you. And I'm still thinking.'

'The fact that you are thinking soo long and hard on this means I'm not going to like the reason. So can you just tell me already?'

'Jasmine invited you to the wedding,'Amelia said in a rush.

She stilled. Jasmine. Her former best friend. Or had they been friends in the first place? She was getting married? To who? Toby?

'She's not going,'Cameron stated harshly. Startled out of her thoughts, she observed the scene around the table. Amelia was looking quite guilty while Scott had moved closer to her to show his support and present a united front. Cameron, on the other hand, was looking murderous. He looked liable to jump across the table and throttle Amelia for even bringing it up. Although...

'Do you even know who Jasmine is?'Sharon asked. She hadn't mentioned her name when she told him. So she didn't understand his fury.

'I inferred. You paled alarmingly fast and Amelia looked guilty,'he explained, grabbing her hand. She allowed it, knowing he needed to know she was alright. 'She must be the friend you told me about. I don't want you to walk that road again. It's unnecessary and cruel.'

'But you'll be within punching distance of my ex,'she pointed out even as she understood his protectiveness. It was a testament of how far along their relationship that she wasn't surprised but instead was warmed by it. If he didn't already have possession of her heart, she would have given it to him then. 'When did she invite me anyway? I don't remember receiving an invite.'

'She called me about 2 weeks ago to remind me about it and had the gall to say at the end,'Oh, and tell Sharon she's invited as well.''

'When was this?'she asked curiously. Cameron just sighed and buried his face in her neck. 'Cameron, at least clean up first.' He shook his head resolutely.

'I think it was 1 month ago?' Amelia pondered on it for a while before continuing. 'Initially, I was angered and appalled by her brazenness. But, through our conversations, I realise you need to confront this and let it go. You won't be able to go forward if you don't.'

'Yeah,'she agrees softly. Cameron's head shot up and he frowned at both of them.

'She could do this here. Without them,'he said pointedly. She tugged at his hand. When he looked down, he had to sigh at her beseeching look. 'I know you. You're loyal to a fault. This girl hit you hard. The enormity of her betrayal... That's leave a big scar. How can you face her with that in mind?'

'I don't know. I don't know how I'll react. How I'll feel. But I need to see this through. I need to close this door to my past. For. Good. Please support me and come with me?' She knew it was a lot for him but she needed this. Of course, she didn't want to go back ever but she felt that this was keeping her back from making the final leap. Even though she knew he would always be there for her.

He took a while to answer, looking from Sharon and Amelia and back. Scott have him an encouraging smile. She waited with bated breath. Finally, the answer she was waiting for. 'Fine,'he said grudgingly. She squealed and jumped into his lap, hugging him tightly. 'As long as I get to punch him.' Amelia and Scott laughed although Amelia's laugh was tinged with relief. She hoped she had done the right thing.

  - ---------@@@@@-----------

'Well, this is unexpected,'Matt said. Cameron had gone to his office once he'd dropped Sharon off. She gave him an encouraging smile when they parted ways. It was that smile that made him walk up to Matt's door and request a meeting.  It was that smile that kept his fears at bay when he told Matt he was ready to plan his future. It was that smile that kept him in the chair while he waited for his response.

'Yeah. I don't want to be left hanging in case an injury blindsides me,'he replied stiffly. Matt looked like he wanted to continue with his previous line of question but he shook his head and sat up. 'Is it possible for me to go into coaching?'

'Yeah. There are a few teams showing interest in you as a coach. There are also some sport commentator spots as well. But I would like you to consider acting-'

'No acting,'he said firmly. He didn't like being the centre of attention. For football, he could stand it because of his love for the sport. But being the centre of attention for the sake of it didn't suit him. And don't even speak of his acting skills. He believed machines acted better than him.

'It's for a football movie-'

'No,'he said resolutely. Matt was silent for a moment. He was deciding whether it would be a good idea to press the issue but decided against.

'So coaching or broadcasting it is then.'

'Currently, I don't have a preference for either of them,'he revealed honestly. 'But those seem to be the more acceptable jobs I should consider when I retire.'

'Maybe you should take the next few months to explore and see which direction you want to take. Not all retired athletes stay in sports.  Some take an interest in business. Some go into acting. Politics. Philanthropy. The list goes on. You don't have to decide now. You're not on the verge of retiring anyway. So take this time to determine your interests and see whether you can expand on it.'

'I don't have other interests,'he stressed. It was true. He had spent his entire life dedicated to football. He took ballet lessons because of football. He went to college because of football. Everything in his life had some connection to football. He might have liked something before but didn't have the time to develop an strong interest in it. Now that his link with football was coming to an end, he felt adrift, like a boat with no moor. Without football, who was he?

'Well, just take the time to think about it,'Matt said, clearly uncomfortable with the conversation. 'You still have time to consider your options. Talk with your coach. Your friends. Sharon. You're not at the end yet so don't despair.'

Yeah. Don't despair. Easy for him to say.

AN Hey guys. Thanks for all your support so far. really appreciate it.

QNS:what do you think Cameron could possibly be interested in? Need not be a job. could be a hobby. I, myself, am not sure what he should go into. maybe he should go into a business with Sharon? Scott? what do you think?

while this might not be integral in the storyline, I would like to bring him some  peace of mind