〖Chapter 15 | The Nothings That Keep You Up At Night〗

Your eyes squint and blink as they try desperately to adjust to the dark. Finally, the green numbers on the cable box slither into view. 3:26 AM. You can't remember waking up, but here you are.

What woke you?

It's happened dozens of times before, you wake up in the middle of the night for no reason. Usually, you are able to just roll over and drift back off into dreamland, but tonight, you wonder.

You listen hard, barely breathing so as not to miss a sound. What do you hear?

*Tick* *Tock* *Tick* *Tock*

Do you even have a face clock? You must have one somewhere because the sound of the second hand ticking away, torturing you with an eternal countdown is getting louder and louder.

That's all there is. The silence against the constant nagging of time swells in your throat. Your room is still and ominously peaceful. With all this emptiness you can't shake the feeling of dread, of feeling totally vulnerable to the night.

What woke you?

Panic slowly starts to leak into your body as you beg for something tangible, something destroyable to show up and claim responsibility, but nothing.

You try to go back to sleep. What choice do you have? But something woke you up last time, and you know it will wake you up again.

*Tick* *Tock* *Tick* *Tock*

You get up, curling your fingers around the sheets and slowly crawling out of bed. You can feel it, whatever it is, waiting to wake you up again. You look but There are no monsters under your bed. No serial killers hiding in your closet. No psychopaths waiting outside your window. Just the darkness, and the silence, and the ticking.

So what woke you?