Chapter 21 - Is he being serious?

(Picture of Lucy's outfit to the side ===>>>)

Chapter 21 – Is he being serious?

Lucy’s POV

Silence: that’s what follows Jess’s little (more like gigantic) revelation. A shocked and tense silence that seems to stretch on for forever until Amy breaks it.

“… Are you sure?” she asks, seemingly not knowing what else to say, and I’m pretty much the same.

What the hell are we supposed to say to that? This is a whole new level of messed up, it’s even worse than me and Justin being paired up together.

“Yeah…” Jess replies slowly. “It’s weird. It’s like, as soon as you see them, you just know,” she looks over at me, “right?”

I slowly nod my head in confirmation, thinking back to the day I found out that I was predestined to be with Justin. I remember exactly what it was like… the way my usually quiet wolf stirred simply at the sight of him, the way I just couldn’t get enough of his intoxicating scent…

I knew immediately that it was him.

Thinking back to a few minutes ago, I suddenly realise what Jess was saying.

“Hey, do you guys smell that…?”

Smell, she could smell his scent!

The reality of the situation crashes down on me like a ton of bricks. This is no mistake. For whatever fucked up reason, fate has deemed it reasonable to try and hook up my best friend with a rogue!

“Fuck!” Jess gasps, her hands reaching up to cover her nose and mouth in horror. You can visibly see her doing her best to push back her emotions, but I notice that her eyes still start to tear up. Apparently, I’m not the only one who’s just come to terms with the reality of the situation. “Oh my god…”

“Hey,” I murmur, keeping my voice as calm as possible and pulling her into a much-needed hug. “It’s going to be okay, I promise.”

“This is so fucked up,” she complains, pulling away from me again. “It’s not fair!”

Neither I nor Amy deny it, she’s completely right.

“No one can know,” she declares, looking at both of us. “You can’t tell anyone.”

I share a look with Amy, both of us not knowing how to go about this.

A Pack member having a bond with a rogue? Even if it isn’t an intentional bond, it’s still a pretty vital piece of information.

“Lucy?” Jess questions, panic evident in her voice when she notices my reluctance. “Please. They can’t find out, you know how they’ll react!”

That’s true. They’ll make her life a living hell. Maybe not all of them, but most of them will, there’s no doubt about it.

“Look, we don’t know that it’ll definitely be as bad as all that…” Amy points out. “Nothing like this has ever happened before.”

“Exactly!” Jess exclaims, her panic increasing. “This has never happened before. Hell, they’ll probably see it as some kind of treachery! I mean, come on, we’ve all seen what can happen, what happened to Lucy, do you really think they won’t just turn on me as well?”

“Okay,” I reply, completely understanding her logic. The Pack can be a real ass sometimes. “Okay, we won’t tell anyone.”

“Thank you,” she sighs, relief immediately shining in her eyes.