Chapter One

Jali stared out at the ocean she called home. How she wished so desperately for a tail of her own, to be able to catch up with the dolphins she saw pass by now and again.
Unlike many of her kind, she had yet to earn one. The clouds predicted no ceremony for her today. Jali sighed, standing up and brushing the sand off of her serpent skin overalls. Her hair twisted and turned at the sudden movement, which she wasn't unfamiliar with, as it was common knowledge that moving quickly above water could irritate the living tentacles.
The young Oceangoer had long since managed to convince them to stay short, as she spent much time above water, trying to see if the clouds could give her any indication as to when she'd receive her tail.
If she ever got it at all, a voice in her mind whispered. "Come on, clouds! Gimme somethin' to work with here!" She shouted, throwing her arms up into the air.
A gust of wind nearly knocked her off her feet. The clouds parted a bit, and Jali kept her eyes peeled in hope... Right before she was blinded by the sun. Jali hissed in pain, clenching her sharp teeth as she looked down at the sand. "Not cool, ancestors, not cool at all.." Jali groaned, walking towards the ocean.
She sighed contently as the water encased her. It was a welcome feeling, as the surface above was quite hot. Maybe she would have better luck in the Trench.

As Jali kicked her legs, propelling herself towards the deep Ocean Trench she frequented, she began thinking about The Festival. The one time a Fourseason when each branch of their kind, from the Mountaingoers to the Forestgoers, could all speak to one another in peace.
Jali herself had never been to The Festival. Her mother had, as had her father, but she was always too young. This Fourseason, however, she was finally of age. 16 Fourseasons. Not quite an adult, but she was fully eligible to be chosen as a representative of their pod! Jali twisted her body, launching herself downward, and into the dark abyss.

The blue skinned girl planted her feet firmly against a wall, looking around. It was pitch black, as usual. She didn't have the night vision of a Cavegoer, (although she wasn't quite sure if that older boy was lying about that), but she did have Bioluminescent Gravel. She felt along the wall, until she eventually found a loose rock. Jali pulled as hard as she could, and the rock tumbled to the ground, as well as succeeding in pushing her down with the rock. She managed to let go before she was dragged to the bottom, and looked up to see the hole was lighting up. Smiling, the Oceangoer swam back up to retrieve the jar. She shook it gently, irritating the small rocks inside, and she now had an undersea lantern. It was time to set to work.