15

Zoya

"Don't touch it ever again you schmuck!" A red faced Zoya wailed as she finally snatched her diary after running behind Bilal from an hour or so.

Bilal stared at her with that sly smirk of his which irritated her to the point of punching the wall with her bare fist. She, however, read the shahadah again in an attempt to calm herself down.

"Zoe, the second page is so cheesy. Like what the hell?" He called her out. Zoya felt her legs tremble with embarrassment.

"You read that!" She yelled out, flooded with insecurity.

Bilal chuckled and nodded following a prolonged sigh from her mouth as she lowered her head. That page... it was about her future husband. Damn it, why hadn't she bunt it years ago!

"Don't be so shy. It's our fitrah as human beings to want a life partner," Bilal mumbled, scratching his head and making the situation even more awkward than it already was.

Zoya didn't dare look up because she already wanted to jump off the highest cliff.

"Alright, I know you feel weird talking to me about this but... we really need to. I'm just saying that it's okay to keep expectations from your future husband and you should be looking forward to that period of your life without any embarrassment," he stated.

Zoya nibbled on her lower lip, feeling her heart race in her throat, trying to jump out. Even her palms had started to fill up with sweat. She gulped down to ease the tightness.

"Are you willing to get married away now?"

Her breathing completely halted. Caught off guard, she looked up, wide eyed. Her desperate gaze noticed the door was swiftly open behind Bilal and she wanted nothing but to run away.

"Zoya, just tell me what's on your mind so I can help you," he spoke out. She felt her brother's sincerity through his kind words. It was better to spill it out now than regret it her whole life.

"I like the idea of a marriage, Bilal."

"But-?" He mumbled.

"But... I feel like we're rushing. I wanna get myself together before putting myself into another massive responsibility. I also still need to finish up with my university. I haven't contacted them yet."

Bilal nodded approvingly. "Don't pressure yourself. When you feel like you're ready, let me know. I'll talk to Baba," he assured with a warm smile.

Zoya nodded feeling content now that someone knew about how she felt. Bilal exited the room, closing the door behind him. Zoya sat in the silence, unmoving. Her eyes flew shut as she laid back on the bed with her hair sprawled over.

She needed to call Ms. Brook today to inform her of the news; not studying cardiology. Zoya sighed heavily. Just thinking of letting her know was doing a number on her.

Ms. Brook was the greatest professors of all time. To Zoya, she was a teacher, a friend and a person who believed in her regardless of Zoya's shortcomings. She always encouraged her to do more and strive to achieve her dreams.

Ms. Brook would be so damn saddened to hear about the news.

It couldn't be delayed longer.

Zoya avoided calling her for days now. There was no point in hiding; she had to come clean. Zoya grabbed her cellphone from under her pillow and dialed the number speedily so she wouldn't be able to stop herself.

Zoya felt her heart dropping with each bell echoing in her eardrums. She was dreading Ms. Brook's reaction.

"Hi Zoe, finally contacted me huh?" Brew out the loud chirpy voice of Ms. Brook.