Chapter 27

6:15 am Competition Day

My body naturally woke me up and I wandered out into the main living area where my mom had her hair up in a towel.

"Are you sleep walking?" She asked me, waving a hand in front of my face. I playfully slapped the hand away from my face grabbed a water bottle.

"I am perfectly awake, and early if I may add."

"What did you do with my daughter?" My mom pointed a finger gun at me.

"Kidnapped her and replaced her so I could put up with her crazy mother." I said, making my voice deeper.

"Okay well that's could easily be the truth because I'm great and everyone wants to hang out with me." She put down the finger guns. "Go get ready, I'll call dad."

I came back out dressed and ready for the day.

"Hey dad!"

"Hey sweetie, how's it going?" He asked.

"Oh I don't want to accidentally give you any information that could get me eliminated." I rolled my eyes.

"Someone was spreading information around and they can't contact friends anymore." Mom explained.

"Is M there? I want to ask her about her party!" I looked at mom and she threw a pillow at me.

"Uh no, she's still asleep."

"Wild night out, huh?" I winked at mom and she threw another pillow at me.

"And on that note, we're going to head out for the day!" My mom turned back to my dad.

"Alright, have a great day sweetheart. Love you both."

"We love you too." My mom and I waved goodbye. My mom sighed as she shut laptop and looked down.

"A few more weeks until we can see them." I touched her arm and she looked up and squeezed my hand.

Sitting in front of my mirror with my earbuds in, listening to my solo song, I see Ms. Kris approach me. I take out my earbuds and put my lipstick down.

"Madison, have you seen Brianna?" She asked me worriedly.

"Uh no. I'll go find her." I started to stand up.

"No, I don't want to interrupt your prep time." She said starting to leave.

"No, really it's fine. I'm done with my hair and makeup, and I can change once I find her." I smiled and walked out of the dressing room.  I sprinted to the changing stalls where I knew she would be. A camera started following me.

"Brianna? Hey, it's me. Open up." I said knocking on the door. I heard her sobbing.

"Not now Madison. I can't do this."

"Yes you can. Let me in." I knocked again. If she doesn't open the door, everyone watching will hear her meltdown.

"No, please leave me alone!" She cried.

"You can do this. I believe in you." I stopped knocking.

"Please Madison! I'm sorry!" She cried again.

"Okay! Don't be! I'll go!" I left the hallway and saw her mom at the end of it. I walked up to her and sighed.

"What's the matter?" She asked me.

"She's just nervous. She just needs a few minutes to calm down." I assured her mom. She nodded and we walked back to the dressing room. I grabbed my costume and headed back to the stalls to change.